I have a 98 chevy tahoe and my oil pressure is shooting up to 70-75, and the gauge only goes to 80... Before It used to sit right around 40 or so, is this supposed to do this and I just haven't noticed this before or is there something wrong???? HELP!

I have a 98 chevy tahoe and my oil pressure is shooting up to 70-75, and the gauge only goes to 80... Before It used to sit right around 40 or so, is this supposed to do this and I just haven't noticed this before or is there something wrong???? HELP!

Well have you had any work done to it?? i have a 97 1500 that I just put a new motor in, and i added a high flow pump.. It sits at 80 when cold and goes down to ~40-50 at idle and after that when the gas is applyed it goes back up to 80...

Team Deadly Hertz

1997 GMC 1500

Update....

System is gone

Motor is fucked

Truck is down and out for a while

Myspace

YOUTUBE

My Build

Well have you had any work done to it?? i have a 97 1500 that I just put a new motor in, and i added a high flow pump.. It sits at 80 when cold and goes down to ~40-50 at idle and after that when the gas is applyed it goes back up to 80...

No work done! I changed the oil a few days ago, could it be something to do with that?

No work done! I changed the oil a few days ago, could it be something to do with that?

you change the fiter too?? could be a number of things.. just keep an eye on it.. If you start to hear funny noises, or it starts to drive funny, thats when you can tell you ahve a problem..

Team Deadly Hertz

1997 GMC 1500

Update....

System is gone

Motor is fucked

Myspace

YOUTUBE

My Build

you change the fiter too?? could be a number of things.. just keep an eye on it.. If you start to hear funny noises, or it starts to drive funny, thats when you can tell you ahve a problem..

Yeah I will I just dont want to blow a gasket or something...

it should be fine... mine sit at 80 normally with my new pump and its fine... so idk... that just my opinion... you could get other opinions if ya want..

Team Deadly Hertz

1997 GMC 1500

Update....

System is gone

Motor is fucked

Myspace

YOUTUBE

My Build

it should be fine... mine sit at 80 normally with my new pump and its fine... so idk... that just my opinion... you could get other opinions if ya want..

I think it might be like you said cause its cold... Thanks for the Help

Id also say its because its cold.

You said you just got an oil change.

New oil at a cold temp is going to be thicker then older used oil at the same temp because its all broke down.

of coarse when the oil heats up it becomes even thinner, reducing your oil pressure.

oil is rated in weight or viscosity.

5w 30 oil is 5 weight hot, 30 weight cold.

10w 30 oil is 10 weight hot, 30 weight cold.

straight 50w is 50 weight hot or cold.

etc

It is wiser to run a 5w30 oil in winter, and something like 10w30 in summer.

To much oil pressure can be a problem, but this is why your to let your vehicle warm up before driving.

Off the top of my head my 99 hoe is about at 60ish when i start it cold, and drops down to around 20-25 at a idle, around 40 at driving about 25-35mph, and around 60-70 on the highway doing 65-80mph

hope that helps a tad more.

I have a 89 Chevy 1500 that does the same thing. The oil pressure is high when started then drops and then rises again when I accelerate. It's been doing this for as long as I can remember and it hasn't been a problem although I rarely drive it. Seems to be a GM defect from this post though.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz