Im thinking about getting rid of my old factory wheels and getting either 22's or 24's on a dark gray 05 Chevy silverado 1500 ext cab. There black rim with a chrome lip. My brother was telling me if you put 22's or 24's on you will have to get a whole new brake system to support them. is that true. I found some 24's that are on sale for 199.99 each. But i work at a Discount tire and i dont know if they will give me the same price or carry them and my discount is only like between 15-20% should i just buy the rims from the ppl on line.

I’m on 22"s on my 94 exploder and have had no break problems. Did notice a difference in acceleration though! Still breaks fine also

Rollerz Only - Sacramento Chapter. 6 Time Lowrider Magazine club of the year

94 Xploder on 22s - Gutted for now...

87 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham on hydros, fully euroed out Tookie blue

*ROLLERZ ONLY MAFIA*

Crankin the volume knob and hittin switches.

http://www.rollerzonly.com

i have 24's on my silverado 1500 and it stops ok for the most part but im going to upgrade to some stainless steal brake company's larger drilled and slotted rotors on stock calipers to up the stopin power.....plus the cool look in the wheel well

2001 chevy silverado 1500

h/u- pioneer avic-f900bt and custom molded 7 inch monitor in center console

mids/highs-memphis m-class 6.5 component set

subs-3 kicker L7 12's seprate chamber box at 43hz and aprox. 3 cu. ft.

amp- treo ssx 2000.1

all memphis 0 gauge wire and rca's

Plans- 2 treo ssp 18's

kinetik 2400 batt and a mla module and high amp alt

focal 6.5 components and amp

Your vehicle will not stop fine when your rolling on 20" plus wheels.

You should invest in a upgraded rotor for sure either cross drilled -or- slotted to help with better cooling. People say cross drilled and slotted rottors are weaker because there is less metal, but I rolled baer rotors on my caddy for a while and had no problems.

Also a higher quality pad, like ceramic would be a wise idea. Ceramic pads do not wear as quick, stop better when they are hot vs a normal cold break pad (like how a dirty K&N filter will out perform a clean oem filter), and have virturally no brake dust with a ceramic pad.

The rolling mass of a 20 inch rim vs a stock 16 or 17 inch rims is major, and now your talking about going to a 22 or 24..

Your looking at least 40-100 lbs of rolling mass your gaining with a big rim

If you notice a difference in acceleration your going to notice a difference in braking.

Thats like carrying a trailer packed full of shit, and saying "yea my truck is slower with a trailor but it brakes just fine".

Im sorry that is not happening.

All you people that are to broke to upgrade their brakes when you put the big rims on, go out to your car.

go 65mph, and then lock up your brakes, dont slowly stop, lock them up as if your avoiding a accident and see how well you stop when your stock brakes are glowing red hot and warping while your hot brake pads dont slow you down and all you hear is grinding...

I can tell you now that your car/truck/suv/moped or whatever your driving is going to fail, and will not act anything like normal.

Not only will it take you longer to stop you will be putting your life at risk as well as other drivers.

Here is meades compairison video of stock brakes, vs his new brakes.

Where he went from 60mph locked them up with stock, then did the same with the new brakes.

stock brakes took 107 feet to stop from 60mph locking them up with 26s

Aftermarket brakes took 72 feet frp, 60mph Without locking the brakes up on 26s...

BUT YEA, STOCK BRAKES ARE FINE NOOBS! LoL

Oh as for brakes.

Try looking at www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com (i think)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv..._10155_-1_10139

Im not sure if your truck is 5 lug, or 6 lug (depends on 4x4 or not)

Baer brakes are good, brembo brakes are good, and so are wilwood brakes.

Your going to spend some cash on either of those 3, but the most on either wilwood or brembo.

Almost every sort of race car you see, as well as lambos, farrei, mazzarati, porche etc all run brembo stock iirc,

Also Brembo goes thru some crazy torture tests. as sure as others, but I like my brembos.

brembo and wilwood are way better then baers however, and will make baers perform like stock compaired to others.

Your vehicle will not stop fine when your rolling on 20" plus wheels.

You should invest in a upgraded rotor for sure either cross drilled -or- slotted to help with better cooling. People say cross drilled and slotted rottors are weaker because there is less metal, but I rolled baer rotors on my caddy for a while and had no problems.

Also a higher quality pad, like ceramic would be a wise idea. Ceramic pads do not wear as quick, stop better when they are hot vs a normal cold break pad (like how a dirty K&N filter will out perform a clean oem filter), and have virturally no brake dust with a ceramic pad.

The rolling mass of a 20 inch rim vs a stock 16 or 17 inch rims is major, and now your talking about going to a 22 or 24..

Your looking at least 40-100 lbs of rolling mass your gaining with a big rim

Not trying to cause an argument, but I would highly disagree with the statement above. How can adding 40-100lbs of rolling resistance put the brakes past their threshold of stopping the vehicle?

40-100lbs of rolling resistance is no worse than adding a 150lb passenger or 2. Investing in a better brake pad is not a bad idea, but your brakes will be fine.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD