Ernesto Posted August 30, 2006 Report Posted August 30, 2006 Is it possible to melt the solder with a heat gun? My tank ran out and I need to solder a few terminals. I know the solder wire melts at around 500 degrees and my heat gun goes up to around 750 degrees on high. Would it take me forever with the heat gun or will it get the job done? This is the same heat gun I use for tinting.
geekepunk Posted August 30, 2006 Report Posted August 30, 2006 Welllllllllll....I probably wouldn't do it. It might melt the wire and other things too. You can pick up a little 25 watt iron or the high wattage gun they offer at lowes or home depot and that would do the trick. Soldering gun is best. If it's a large guage wire you could use a pencil torch or even a regualr sized torch if you do it right. Either way, it's up to you...could give it a try.
Ernesto Posted August 30, 2006 Author Report Posted August 30, 2006 Wouldn't the wire melt even faster using a torch?
AP Zoutes Posted August 30, 2006 Report Posted August 30, 2006 I use a mini hand held torch. Like twenty bucks at Home Depot. As long as you don't directly flame the insulation or anything around it. It's all I use for anything bigger then 10 gauge.
geekepunk Posted August 30, 2006 Report Posted August 30, 2006 Sorry I was kind of vague on the wire. I actually meant that the insulation would be prone to melting if a heat gun was used.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.