Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

hey torres i am using your box calculator to design a box for 2 12's with a slot port with 2 common walls which is the one in the middle of the two subs i believe? i just wanted to run my specs by you and see if i did everything right.. im not sure..

edit: just found out how to attach pics.. please let me know if i messed up anywhere? thanks!1.png

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

you're right about the common port walls, but since you're using 3/4" wood, the port height should be 14.5" since the wood on the top and bottom adds up to 1.5" instead of 2". and take out the number in the 'desired net volume' box, as it negates ALL dimensions entered in the calculator and goes off that as volume instead of your HxWxD

you're right about the common port walls, but since you're using 3/4" wood, the port height should be 14.5" since the wood on the top and bottom adds up to 1.5" instead of 2". and take out the number in the 'desired net volume' box, as it negates ALL dimensions entered in the calculator and goes off that as volume instead of your HxWxD

thanks! i did that.. but now my box is tuned at 47.66hz.. if i manipulate the width of the port to 2.5 it brings it to 37 hz.. is that ok? also it says the physical port length is 12.''.. does that mean that when i build the box i need two 12 inch pieces of wood to put on the inside of the port?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

tuning is personal preference. i like mid 30's myself. and the physical port length means the length of the wood port itself. meaning if you have your port in and measure along the inside port wall, you should get 12". measuring down the middle of the port will give you your effective port length which is what you enter in the port length box

Need some help with the calculator, Im stumped.. These are the dimensions I have to work with.

H=17 x W=40 x L=25 and My subwoofers are (2) JL audio 13w7s, which need to be tunes at 30Hz.

When I plug the measurmemnts into the calc, it gives me the cut list right away, but Im guessing at that point, those are based on a sealed enclosure until the port numbers are plugged in, but thats where im having trouble..I would think the program should give me those numbers, because thats what the user is trying to figure out.

I would like to have the port in the middle of the two subs. I have filled in the box for desired gross volume @ 5.17, because JL recommends 2.375 net volume for each sub, plus the displacement of 0.21 each. So thats where I got 5.17. I have also plugged in 0.42 for the displacement of both subs. I dont know if i should put the 0.42 because i dont want the subs to be in the same chamber. What Im thinking for the Port Height box is 15.5, since the sides are that height on my cut list, but I dont know. also the w7 calls for 1" front baffle, so I dont know if i should put 0.75 on baffle thickness and put "1" for # of extra baffles, or just 1" under baffle thickness.

Im also confused with the Misc boxes, like # of common port walls and length of external port.

If someone can help me out here, Id greatly appreciate it. Thank you

tuning is personal preference. i like mid 30's myself. and the physical port length means the length of the wood port itself. meaning if you have your port in and measure along the inside port wall, you should get 12". measuring down the middle of the port will give you your effective port length which is what you enter in the port length box

i like the mid 30's too.. i've seen people make an L shape port on the inside of their box.. my box would have a width of 18 inchs.. does that mean i can just leave it as a straight 12 inch piece? or do i have to make it an L too?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

Need some help with the calculator, Im stumped.. These are the dimensions I have to work with.

H=17 x W=40 x L=25 and My subwoofers are (2) JL audio 13w7s, which need to be tunes at 30Hz.

When I plug the measurmemnts into the calc, it gives me the cut list right away, but Im guessing at that point, those are based on a sealed enclosure until the port numbers are plugged in, but thats where im having trouble..I would think the program should give me those numbers, because thats what the user is trying to figure out.

I would like to have the port in the middle of the two subs. I have filled in the box for desired gross volume @ 5.17, because JL recommends 2.375 net volume for each sub, plus the displacement of 0.21 each. So thats where I got 5.17. I have also plugged in 0.42 for the displacement of both subs. I dont know if i should put the 0.42 because i dont want the subs to be in the same chamber. What Im thinking for the Port Height box is 15.5, since the sides are that height on my cut list, but I dont know. also the w7 calls for 1" front baffle, so I dont know if i should put 0.75 on baffle thickness and put "1" for # of extra baffles, or just 1" under baffle thickness.

Im also confused with the Misc boxes, like # of common port walls and length of external port.

your number of common ports will be the same as mine, 2 since you want it in the middle just like me.. external port from my understanding is if you're going to be making a blow through or something.. where the port is on the outside of the box and not the inside.. you can either do a double baffle, with two .75" pieces, for a total of 1.5" by putting a 1 in the # of extra baffles box.. or you can just change your wood thickness for the whole box to 1 inch but then buy 1 inch MDF to build your box.. EDIT: and putting nothing in the extra baffles box /EDIT

im new to the program too.. thats all i got from my basic understanding of the program.. hopefully torres can help you out more and correct me if i am wrong

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

for the cut sheet of the port, there's just too many ways/styles of ports and ways to list the cut sheet to 1, put in that tiny box and 2, i believe it'd cause more confusion than not having it in there. imo if someone building their own box, they should be able to figure/calculate what you'd need for the port. the point of the calculator is to design a ported box/find the tuning of a box. the cut sheet is a bonus that i added in.

there's links to pictures in the help window that will illustrate what the different types of ports are. the same links are also in the first post of this thread that are clickable. you will want the common port walls to be 2. the external port is only if you plan on having any part of the port outside of the box. also, if you want a 1" baffle (it's not necessary imo just cuz JL says it is), put .25" as the baffle thickness and put 1 in for extra baffles. i personally just double baffle my boxes, but i like the flush mount look.

i like the mid 30's too.. i've seen people make an L shape port on the inside of their box.. my box would have a width of 18 inchs.. does that mean i can just leave it as a straight 12 inch piece? or do i have to make it an L too?

if the calculator doesn't say the port needs to bend, then you should be able to put one piece in the port and go straight back

aw shit i skipped over that.. under port bends it says yes.. but if the depth of my box is 18 inches and the port is 12 then why do i need to bend it?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T