Really quick dumb question

Pre amp outputs, what does the extra voltage do?  I'm not understanding it since your amp draws power from its own power wire =

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

It allows the amps to operate more efficiently by giving them a stronger signal.  Makes everything louder  ;D

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Right now I have enough money for 2 alpine type r's and in two weeks I should have the money for a hifonics 1000 watt rms amp, should I get a better head unit, or will I be okay with my jvc since I'm not going to compete or anything =

btw my outputs are 2.5 volts =

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Mine are 2.2, and it'll sound fine.  I would add a line driver eventually though to boost it. You could get a better head unit, but if youre satisfied with the one you have, a line driver will be cheaper and more effective.

Subwoofer Wall

work more efficiently? Are you sure it makes the amp more efficient?

makes everything louder?(i dont know if that was sarcasm or not ), but i dont think it makes something louder, i dont know if you are talking SPL or something, i could be wrong but i dont think so.

I learned from an RF moderator that it will reduce your signal to noise ratio, and allow you to reduce your gains.

I would post the site up where he said it if its okay.

Baylor University

Accounting

No I wasn't being sarcastic.  You can reduce your gains.  If you don't, it is louder.  The amp is given more of a signal, so it has less to amplify, therefore allowing it to achieve the same volume with less power.  This is higher efficiency.

Subwoofer Wall

yes but if you do not change your gains at all, you can have a clipped signal, depending on how you set them before(if they were accuratly set or not)

and i thought efficiency of an amp had nothing to do with the input voltage from yoru RCA's i thought it was the input power from your battery and electrical/charging system- the power coming into your Battery Power Wire.

Efficieny is amplifier output power/ amplifier input power

Baylor University

Accounting

yes but if you do not change your gains at all, you can have a clipped signal, depending on how you set them before(if they were accuratly set or not)

and i thought efficiency of an amp had nothing to do with the input voltage from yoru RCA's i thought it was the input power from your battery and electrical/charging system- the power coming into your Battery Power Wire.

[glow=red,2,300]Efficieny is amplifier output power/ amplifier input power[/glow]

So you agree with me then.

You can turn gains down.  The amp works less hard.  More efficient.  The amps using less power with more signal voltage.

Subwoofer Wall

Amplifier input power meaning how much power you take from your electrical system, nothing to do with the pre amp voltage

the amp is going to put out the same amount of power regardless, the gains may be set differently but the power is all the same.

think of it like this

The amp is going to put out 300 watts RMS no matter what input voltage it sees, you adjust the gains accordingly. So with your birth sheet and the given efficiency, you can calculate how much power you are actually taking in for your amp to power the 300 Watts RMS. If the amp is 50% efficient, then your amp is actually taking in 450 watts. The pre volt is just to adjust your gains so you can get the maximum unclipped signal. If it is 2V or 4V or 8V with a line driver, your amp will still put out the same power, which means the power that is put into your amp is the same too.

Baylor University

Accounting

Eh. Whatever.  I don't really care to carry this discussion on.  I can see your point.  Let's just agree that higher RCA voltage is a good thing. haha

Subwoofer Wall