Sundown Audio

Half The Ohms/double The Power?

what i'm really wondering is how much better my bxi2608d will be rated 1500 @ 2 than my opti2000d rated 1100 @ 2 on my ib3 18 single 2 ohm. the opti had a real tough time at 2 ohms and clipped real bad

I ran a BXi1608d at two ohm before and it ran great, it shouldnt clip unless you have your settings to high

the 30001 does 1500 per channel at 1 ohm....its 1 ohm per channel, with 1500 on each channel

IMG00214-20090223-1605.jpg

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I ran a BXi1608d at two ohm before and it ran great, it shouldnt clip unless you have your settings to high

I'll be using a DMM and setting it to 1500 watts or less with a sine wave...

this brings me to something I've wanted to post about for a while now...

when I have my music "cranked up" and then I go to 0dB test tones, obviousely I have to turn the deck WAY down. So when I am setting my gains with the deck way up and a test tone, I can see the benifit that I will actually be using much less power, but, doesn't that waste a lot of the amp? If I have my volume 80% with a sine wave to set it, when I play music, I will have consderably less overall power in general

IB3 22"

the 30001 does 1500 per channel at 1 ohm....its 1 ohm per channel, with 1500 on each channel

IMG00214-20090223-1605.jpg

dude, you are the reason I ORDERED an AP30001D... I actually ordered one from 97 maxima after you gave me lots of great info and pics... thanks BTW... however, since I had to wait a while for shipping, I decided not to purchase just yet in case something came up... and something did... so I had to go with a 1 ohm amp instead.

In the pic, it looks like 2 ohm bridged/1 ohm stereo 3000 watts, but at 4 ohm bridged/2ohm stereo 1800 watts... so not quite 1/2, which makes more sense

so why the more reputable/expensive kicker doing the 1/2 and double?

IB3 22"

Lower the ohms the more power draw from the power supply, more amperage draw, closer to a short circuit

yes most amps do make more power at lower impedances, or if you have a 2ohm stereo amp, if you bridge it@ 4ohms, it makes the best power that way

I understand what you're getting at, but when they are testing them and rating them, I hope it is with a constant supply voltage

IB3 22"

I'll be using a DMM and setting it to 1500 watts or less with a sine wave...

this brings me to something I've wanted to post about for a while now...

when I have my music "cranked up" and then I go to 0dB test tones, obviousely I have to turn the deck WAY down. So when I am setting my gains with the deck way up and a test tone, I can see the benifit that I will actually be using much less power, but, doesn't that waste a lot of the amp? If I have my volume 80% with a sine wave to set it, when I play music, I will have consderably less overall power in general

I wouldnt set it with just a DMM or try to do 1500watts. Its been said by almost everyone that hifonics doesnt do all its rated power. maybe ~1300. but i never tested mine with the right equipment to see if it put out rated power. even if i did i wouldn know if it was clipped or not. But using a DMM along with a clamp meter will better set the power. i found some decent clamp meters on ebay for 25 bucks.

the test tones.. it may just have to do with box tuning. music isnt always at peak frequecy. and when they put the music together it my be eq'ed low. not totally sure on that though

I wouldnt set it with just a DMM or try to do 1500watts. Its been said by almost everyone that hifonics doesnt do all its rated power. maybe ~1300. but i never tested mine with the right equipment to see if it put out rated power. even if i did i wouldn know if it was clipped or not. But using a DMM along with a clamp meter will better set the power. i found some decent clamp meters on ebay for 25 bucks.

the test tones.. it may just have to do with box tuning. music isnt always at peak frequecy. and when they put the music together it my be eq'ed low. not totally sure on that though

see now this really pisses me of, I've been amp shoping here and on ROE for at least a month or a few... and I kept getting told the hifonics do rated. I kept asking "so if the hifon does 2600 for $350 and the kicker does more than rated, but for double that, why arent the prices closer? even if a kicker does 3000... why is it double a hifon?"

and everyone said hifon does rated

now that I bought one, on ROE yesterday someone said the same shit... that they DONT!

Anyway, so the reason I switched from the AP30001D to the BXI2608D was because discrepencies in the IB3 22". On HTS it is said to have the same VD as 2 18's. So I wanted the AP for a 2ohm load. But later in the IB322 thread on HTS, it seems to be said to only have an Xmax of 30mm... same as the 18's... so VD will NOT be the same as 2 18's, as Sd of a 22 is not double the Sd of an 18... so Xmax must be higher. Then I am also told the IB3 motor wasn't strong enough, so they were bumping up to a Q motor... well that's still not over 30mm

so i decided on a pair of IB3 18's, 1 ohm load. So at the last minute my dumbass went with the BXI instead... now everone is saying it doesnt do rated, and, i got more IB3 22 info...

fuck

anyone have a perfectly good AP30001D willing to swap for a BNIB never used BXI? I haven't even received it yet... in the next 2 days. and no, not a pair of 1500's.. too much wire mess

IB3 22"

see now this really pisses me of, I've been amp shoping here and on ROE for at least a month or a few... and I kept getting told the hifonics do rated. I kept asking "so if the hifon does 2600 for $350 and the kicker does more than rated, but for double that, why arent the prices closer? even if a kicker does 3000... why is it double a hifon?"

and everyone said hifon does rated

now that I bought one, on ROE yesterday someone said the same shit... that they DONT!

Anyway, so the reason I switched from the AP30001D to the BXI2608D was because discrepencies in the IB3 22". On HTS it is said to have the same VD as 2 18's. So I wanted the AP for a 2ohm load. But later in the IB322 thread on HTS, it seems to be said to only have an Xmax of 30mm... same as the 18's... so VD will NOT be the same as 2 18's, as Sd of a 22 is not double the Sd of an 18... so Xmax must be higher. Then I am also told the IB3 motor wasn't strong enough, so they were bumping up to a Q motor... well that's still not over 30mm

so i decided on a pair of IB3 18's, 1 ohm load. So at the last minute my dumbass went with the BXI instead... now everone is saying it doesnt do rated, and, i got more IB3 22 info...

fuck

anyone have a perfectly good AP30001D willing to swap for a BNIB never used BXI? I haven't even received it yet... in the next 2 days. and no, not a pair of 1500's.. too much wire mess

Maybe askin in the maxxonics section on here will yeild a better answer from someone that works on them. The 200watts or so that will be missin wont be that noticable either. i would really like a definite answer on actual hifonics power too, but most ppl say its a little over rated

Diminishing return applies with pretty much everything...sad but true :(

Team Tupperware

<First dual-alternator 'real' Saturn (pre-2002) on the planet>
(3) 15" Fi SP4's fed by (2) M3a's strapped @ .667
12.75 cubes net @ 25Hz with 200 sq inches of port area (lowz...?)
Stock alt position (custom bracket) 225 amp Mechman

Roof = steel and fiberglass (u mad?)
(2) XS Power D3100's, (2) rhino batts, No battery upfront (for now, smh)
4 power+ 4 ground runs of 1/0-gauge to rear
"If its been done before...you're doing it wrong" : )

"stfu about scores and float $hit..."