Sundown Audio

Obtaining The Proper Load

slugdub

So I have a sealed box. Two 4 ohm (I believe) subs and a mono amp. Now the amp comes with multiple speaker slots wired "in parallel internally" (which doesn't seem to differ from just jamming both speakers into the same slot, other than the ease).

I believe that I'm going to want to only run this amp at 4ohms (until I get some better speakers or feel like testing these to the limit) so I'm trying to understand these diagrams:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learni..._4-ohm_mono.jpg

That must be dual coils, which I do not have.

So I looked at this:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_c...sp?Q=2&I=41

Which only gives me a choice of 2 or 8 (?) ohm loads.

images-1.jpg

Hmm, so it won't harm anything, it will just be even more of a power decrease then?

I don't think I want it at 8 ohms & I am paranoid about this 8 ohms being too much work for it to be stable.

Edited by slugdub
images-1.jpg

the lower the ohms the more work the amp has to do. Your amp will make very little power at 8 ohms and im pretty sure it's not 8 ohms stable which will damage the amp. If your amp is stable at 2 ohms then run it at 2 ohms.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

the lower the ohms the more work the amp has to do. Your amp will make very little power at 8 ohms and im pretty sure it's not 8 ohms stable which will damage the amp. If your amp is stable at 2 ohms then run it at 2 ohms.

if an amp is stable at 4 ohms then it will play 8 ohms with no problem, just less power.

What amp is the being used?

Edited by fritosaregood

if an amp is stable at 4 ohms then it will play 8 ohms with no problem, just less power.

What amp is the being used?

Sorry, thought I posted that:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mxaLuNGc7Uv/p...rence-611a.html

I don't really think 2 ohms is going to be an option I want to consider. If I do end up doing it, I promise to videotape it for this forum as those coils pop.

I appreciate the help. THere is very little info I could find on the dangers of 8 ohm operation.

so again, to clarify. I care zero about possible speaker damage, I only want to use the amp until I can grab two CVR's. But I do want this to work until then somehow without amp damage.

Edited by slugdub
images-1.jpg

Sorry, thought I posted that:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mxaLuNGc7Uv/p...rence-611a.html

I don't really think 2 ohms is going to be an option I want to consider. If I do end up doing it, I promise to videotape it for this forum as those coils pop.

I appreciate the help. THere is very little info I could find on the dangers of 8 ohm operation.

so again, to clarify. I care zero about possible speaker damage, I only want to use the amp until I can grab two CVR's. But I do want this to work until then somehow without amp damage.

There should not be any damage running at 8 ohms. but that amp shows it is stable at 2 ohms

There should not be any damage running at 8 ohms. but that amp shows it is stable at 2 ohms

I'm the opposite of professional. I'm a total slob. Now that you know that you probably won't be surprised to know I have no clue what my speakers are really rated at. I believe the multitool said they were 4 ohms a few years back and the box is sealed (I may try to crack it this weekend) and the brand is dubious.

So this is sort of just "see what happens" for shits and giggles, but I really do want bass too. The budget will either mean CVR12's no problem or 'wait and see' so.. yeah.

If I had to guess, I'd say the speakers can handle 400 rms, but that is a somehwat unusual # so its probably like 300 tops. If you noticed, this amp will be pushing 328w RMS into each if I run it at 2 ohms. Hmm

How close will I actually be to that number or can I just be real careful?

images-1.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say the speakers can handle 400 rms, but that is a somehwat unusual # so its probably like 300 tops. If you noticed, this amp will be pushing 328w RMS into each if I run it at 2 ohms. Hmm

How close will I actually be to that number or can I just be real careful?

If they are 4 ohms wire them in parallel down to two ohms. use the multimeter again to make sure it is 2 ohms.

not sure exactly wat yoru askin about the power but if the sub is rated 300rms and you have 328 its ok. it will work on music fine, and you probably wont have it full tilt all the time. even if you do its music your playin to continuous tones. if the subs still cant take the power(you smell funny smells) just turn the gain on the amp down, you never have to use the full power of the amp

Thank you very much for the help. Everyone has me sold on the CVR12's, however... I'm very curious (and don't want to start another thread) but what are the possible dangers of mixmatching two totally different subs? Like, if I hook this up to two different subs in the same box.

Thanks again!

images-1.jpg