Sonic Electronix

I have a 15" optidrive sub and i have had it for almost a year now on an amp that shouldnt hurt it imo but anyway hear recently its happened on two occasions my sub has just got really warm and i get a wierd smell like its burning up. i took it out of the box and it looks fine and everything. I guess what im asking is i just ordered another to put in my car along with this one but what i was wondering is this a sign of it blowing??? ive adjusted a few things on the amp since i got that smell. any help would be appreciated

Its a sign that you just need to go easier on it or it will blow.

You dont want it to get to the smell phase. Of course its going to get a little warm with a good amount of play time on it, but be easier on it. I would swap them out and let the new one break in before you go putting them in the same common chamber box or something. Often times a new sub can cause an old sub to blow. Ive seen it first hand to 2 RE MTs.

"if it smells like cocaine then its your gains"

thats what i go by. when you get that smell its usually because your sending a clipped signal and it's causing alot of heat and will eventually burn up your coil or heat up the glue in your sub so much that the spider will unglue from the coil.

turn down the gains.

Archived