Image Dynamics Horns...

mr.p

ok so if i use their wave guide horns with a custom compression driver, the only place to mount these things is under the dash...and i understand thats part of their design to disperse the sound around into the vehicle, but my explorer isnt long like most of the cars that these have been used in....

so im wondering if it is really truly terrible soundstaging to have them mounted under the dash facing the rear of the vehicle???

Your stage will not be as highs if you lets say you have your tweeters in the pillars. I have had horns before, and the highest I could get the stage was to about mid-dash. The horns don't sound as great as some would say. Even with them tamed they sounded hollow sounding to me. Your car does not have to be long to use it. You just will need to be able to get them under your dash mounted as far back as you can and as wide as you can, but keep them parallel to the floor and with each other.

oh yea if all you want is them to be loud, they will accomplish that.

ID did use to sell just the lenses, I guess they only sell replacements, so you shouldnt have told them you were using them on a different driver than theirs. Replacements are around $75 each.

If you get the full lenses make sure you dampen them, they are real flimsy.

Team Stereo Clarity

thanks for the informative reply, i am going to use the horns and my midbass/midrange woofers i have off a cheap 50wx4 pioneer until i find a couple powerhouse 4 channels to run.

just to kind of clarify, the eventual future setup will be the wave guide under the dash, and a 10" midbass driver in each front door, and have a ribbon midrange and ribbon tweeter up in the a-pillar, they are relatively low power handling which will be perfect to bring up the sound a bit. 50 watts rms on the apillar in a mid tweet combo is going to be equivalent to the blaring 100w rms of horn, and 200 rms of midbass coming from down low!

im currently considering getting a rackmount prosound style dsp and stuff it in there....that would give me all the fun stuff to play with like a compressor, and built in mic RTA :)

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

If you are planning on putting true ribbons in the car, avoid it. They are very delicate. Might I suggest using the Bohlender Planars instead? Parts Express has the Neo3pdr's on sale for like $36 each. I have played with them before, I own a set, They sound really good and detailed but I am being lazy on installing them in the car. I tried a bunch of positions but I havent found the sweetspot on my dash. I found the sweetspot using them in the kick but I hate kick installs and refuse to use them in the kick even if they sound better. These planars need a lot of PLD to work great. If my dash was deeper I could probably make them work.

Here is a video I took when I was playing with them, bare in mind no eq was done on them:

Edited by Megalomaniac

Team Stereo Clarity

thats pretty cool but these ribbon mids/tweets are not true, but they are around 400$ a pair :P so they should get the job done for sure! stacking ribbon tweeters in an array is interesting because a normal speaker sends out a ring vs a square ribbon when stacked just makes a tall wave pattern ;)

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

thats pretty cool but these ribbon mids/tweets are not true, but they are around 400$ a pair :P so they should get the job done for sure! stacking ribbon tweeters in an array is interesting because a normal speaker sends out a ring vs a square ribbon when stacked just makes a tall wave pattern ;)

Is it the Mille ribbons by Hertz Audio?

Team Stereo Clarity

I played with them some more today after I read this thread, listen to them bells, they sound very real in the car, camera doesnt do justice but whatever.

Then I turned them sideways and really found their sweetspot in my car, strange enough huh. lol. staging was soo much better and tonally better.

enjoy

Team Stereo Clarity