Determining Optimum Voltage

I was watching this nice little tutorial presentation from the sticky:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

And was wishing I had a table to determine the ideal voltage for my amp. I guess I can guestimate it, and I know its not super important, but I'd rather have the input sensitivity set right once and never have to worry about it again.

I know its not a volume knob, but damn if it doesn't get a lot louder as it goes up :D

images-1.jpg

The only true way to know is to use a scope.

That is what I'm hearing. I wonder if I can go back to highschool and steal theres for a day?

And I also saw this from Derrick?

the formula is AC volts squared, divided by impedance (ohms), equals watts. So if I want 2000w @ 1ohm from my amp I'll need the sqare root of 2000 x 1 which = 44.72. I'll set the output of my amp to 44.72 AC volts. Or say I wanted 1500w @ 2ohms. It'll be the square root of 1500 x 2 which = 54.77. I'll set the output of the amp to 54.77 AC volts.
images-1.jpg

Well the formula failed me. (3rd or 4th thread I'm posting this in, but I'm baffled) 2 ohms 656 watts came out 36.22 volts.

When I measured the speaker output with a DMM I purchased last night, the readings went up to like 20 volts (50 hz signal) and I just set it at 18.6. ah well

images-1.jpg

Archived