Astro Build - 12 Cerwin-Vega 12"s in a Clamshell C-Pillar Wall

You do realise EQ bands shift phase right?

The more EQ you use the more you shift phase the of ajacent frequnecys around your center frequency.

You can have a system that is good in its phase responce when flat then if you add EQ bands you can make it have phase problems right across the range where you have EQ'ed.

Yep. But I don't care about that either. :P If I like the way it sounds, then I don't care. lolz

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Where did you purchase that from?

Kaboom!

http://www.tequipment.net/Velleman_hps10se.html

And they are Certified Velleman dealers too.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Bohemian Rhapsody boosted and a bit of bass overlaid. :D

http://www.zshare.net/audio/73917513704f24dc/

Boosted the existing stuff a bit and overlaid some sine bombs in there. FYI- the bass notes are: 25, 26, 28, 33, 36, 42 (lots of that) and a quick 49 hz bump.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Good work Colin! I bet the Astro sounds even better!

I am in the same boat with the PT, my 'rebuild' of the mids/highs will include oscilliscope and RTA testing until I can get the noise floor as low as possible.

I agree, it may not end up as loud overall, but the clarity and absence of any noise is worth it.

Thanks for posting how you went about it.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Good work Colin! I bet the Astro sounds even better!

I am in the same boat with the PT, my 'rebuild' of the mids/highs will include oscilliscope and RTA testing until I can get the noise floor as low as possible.

I agree, it may not end up as loud overall, but the clarity and absence of any noise is worth it.

Thanks for posting how you went about it.

Amen. You and me both- getting tired of people that see all the amps and speakers and say "yeah it sounds good, but is that as loud as it gets?"

I am still diggin' on all that you have done and are doing to your PT. Plenty of stuff to tinker with and dial in. A man after my own stereo heart. :)

I suppose we could crank it to 11 and make our ears bleed from distortion (like I did back in H/S before I knew any better), but the older I get- ...I am afraid I am beginning to mellow and enjoy nuances in the music. *gasp* Besides- Tinnitus Really Sucks! lol.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...

just re read your thread ..... :good:

BUT

Ford > Chevy

mmmwaaahhaat?!?!? :D I am done with Chevy now. If I get another, I will only buy older ones (as in 23-30 + year vehicles). New vehicles now will be Fords for me whenever possible. But NO GM.

However I must say.... I do love my Astro so... lol. I don't know why either. The wife hates the damn thing. She REFUSES to drive it.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

mmmwaaahhaat?!?!? :D I am done with Chevy now. If I get another, I will only buy older ones (as in 23-30 + year vehicles). New vehicles now will be Fords for me whenever possible. But NO GM.

However I must say.... I do love my Astro so... lol. I don't know why either. The wife hates the damn thing. She REFUSES to drive it.

the pits approve tho right?

03 Ram 1500 3.7 v6 quad cab

H/U: Pioneer 4200UB

Subs: 4 DC LVL 4 15s D1

Sub Amp: 2 Crescendo 3kwp strapped

Highs Amp: Crossfire xp240.2

Highs: Crossfire 2 rs69, 2 rs52

Alt: DC POWER ALT 270XP

Batts: 5 sprinter data safe

Big 3 0ga

New Truck 03 Ram Build Log 6 DC Audio lvl2 15's

My Wrecked 99 Dodge Ram Sport Build Log

02 Ranger X Cab Build

02 Ranger Build 2

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/

My linkhttp://www.crescendoaudio.com

http://www.dcpowerinc.com/

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/

Youtube Vids

the pits approve tho right?

Hehehe. Yeah, they approve. Pull the middle seat out and they have LOTS of room to sprawl out on the trips. :D

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

• 3 months later...

Digging up my dead thread Astro Build. Got another 25th Anniversary Brutus to match the other 2 (took some work). These amps use rj-45 (8 pin) cables for the bass knob- so now that all 3 are the same, I got to work cutting and splicing together some cat 5. Now all 3 amps are on one bass knob. I will dial everything back in later.

And no- no motor yet. The van sits in the garage with NO insurance b/c I can't even drive the old girl. I have more pressing $$$ things on the way to slow that- like my and the wife's first child. He is due early December, so I have been a busy man trying to get the house in order.

Pics!

IMG_0169.jpg

The gimp van.

IMG_0170.jpg

New old amp.

IMG_0171.jpg

The old old amp.

IMG_0172.jpg

These grabbers come in handy! Didn't have to take off my bottom amp board to fish the bass cable through the access hole in the box.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Out with the old...

IMG_0175.jpg

In with the new(er).

IMG_0176.jpg

All I need to do now is to make a pretty fiberglass cover for everything.

IMG_0179.jpg

Oooh, ahhh....

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived