Astro Build - 12 Cerwin-Vega 12"s in a Clamshell C-Pillar Wall

Holy SHIT!

My design has come to life!!!!

Freakin' AWESOME man. I love it :)

Did you work out your total box volume? How's it go when you drop the notes down into the low 30's?

Yeah it did!!! I just realized I didn't give you proper respect! It is after all, more or less the image you sent me- minus some vehicle specific things. :) So WOOT to Boon! Thanks very much!

How does it play... well, I have no amps in for my highs as of yet, so I can't tell you what it sounds like in relation to the entire system as of yet- but... It wangs. It hits hard and quick. You were def. right though- it does play well below tuning. It is much flatter sounding that I thought it would be.

My old box actually peaked at about 30-35. This one doesn't have that low peak and sounds much more natural. It really allows the subs to play fast. They don't sound fat or bloated- there isn't any overhang or unwanted boominess. So far with settings just set with wet finger in the air- it gets so loud I am scared to turn it up much past half way (31). I did put it up to 38 and I couldn't breathe or see. All of that and the subs really don't move as much as you would think. Wonderful. :spiteful:

I get about 3-4 seconds of that at 14 volts, then it begins the drop down to 13, 12 and if you push it, 11 volt blue smoke land- despite of big 3, overdrive pulley, & second battery. Electrical upgrade down the road as $$$ permits. During my little 22 hz accident- It hit so hard it made me and the wife jump. I can only assume that was 150 land at 22 hz. I maimed 2 subs doing it, but it sure was fun. :) Won't know any real db readings until Scrapin' The Coast in over a month.

I pretty much just built it as big as I could and checked internal volumes after the fact. So each sub gets about 1.75 cubes each after all bracing and displacement. So, entire box is about 21 cubes internal net, with 211 square inches of port. The port measures 47x4.5x4.5 deep. However, the back of the port is 4.5" from the back of the box, so I believe that makes the port seem longer, lowering the tune.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a video I am uploading. It doesn't look like the system is even doing anything though. I did manage to break off my rear view mirror during the video! Didn't catch it on film, but you can see at the beginning it is there, and at the end it is gone. Video is uploading. Kinda' big.

Edit for Vid:

Posted Image

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Started working on the amp board. Haven't had much time for the system- work, house duties, so on...

Posted Image

Holes drilled for power, rcas, speaker wire.

Posted Image

Painted Black.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

lookin good man....

That means tons coming from you! :)

I love the Cavzilla. I have been watching your build on it since way before I started posting. :clapping:

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

I got the amp board for the highs mostly done. It will still need final power and speaker wires and all of the brackets to fix it to the box, but that will be next week. My brother in law is getting married this weekend, and I shall be off from tomorrow through the entire weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hard to get pics with this camera hound around.

Posted Image

...and again-

Posted Image

Had to stack the amps. All old school MTX Road Thunder Amplifiers. Put out rated power plus some- no bells or whistles, just wattage. Each speaker gets its own channel. The amps get a fully active crossed over signal. Left and right gets its own individual 15 band equalization from the Carver eqs.

600 watts rms to the 4 4" JBL GTis

120 watts rms to the 4 silk dome McIntosh Tweets

100 watts rms to the Tang Band 5.25"s

200 watts rms to the 4 Aura Bass shakers

60 watts rms to the 4" Vifa center channel

100 watts rms to the screamin' bullet Tweeters.

Edit for quick pic with labels.

Posted Image

The LSB1 "Black Box" bass processors are pretty cool. You can delay the turn on and turn off time of different equipment. Since I have two, one of them comes on first and turns on the other one. The second turns on the processors. They turn on the amps. The turn off feature allows me to delay the turn off so there is no "thump". Despite of having different equipment, everything plays music at the same time and turns on and off with no noise, pop, or thump. They are cool. :)

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Not the far back row. The middle row can still go in there just fine. So- I still have seating for 5 people. 2 in the front, 3 in the "middle" bench seat. That was all a part of the master plan. :) I still wanted room for that middle seat. It is easily removed too, so if I want to- I can still haul stuff. I get my wall without killing my seating arrangement. It won't meter as loud because the wall is so far back- but that isn't really what I built it for anyway.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates.... The van is up and running with the subs and highs. I still have to set EQs, set all amp levels, tune, etc... but that is the fun part for me. I can spend days and days doing that. :)

I actually drove the van today and even washed and detailed it. -first time in over a year. :) I put on new fog lights, re-wired under the dash for my switches: The ones for the fog lamps (on relay so the switch is active only when parking lights are on), for the neons (switch active only when ignition is on), and for the SPL portion of my bass processors (only active when the ignition is on). I measured the height that the rear of the van dropped from the weight- a tad more than 2" with everything in there. Also moved subs around and pulled out the 2 scratchy ones from my 20hz sine bomb debacle. Maybe I can glue them fixed.

Posted Image

Height differences

Posted Image

A washed van on the charge with new fog lights

Posted Image

Starting from the left- the black fog light switch, down low the silver switches are the neon and bass processor, by the doghouse you can see the bass knob that won't get used too much.

Posted Image

Pulled the 2 scratchy mechanical failure subs....

and saw this!!!!!!

Posted Image

This really noisy one the spider separated from the cone (I think it is screwed)

Posted Image

This one the spider pulled from the basket.

Super overexcursion on really old subs FTL. I think I can fix the second one, but the first one I have my doubts. The crazy thing is- they still play! One is scratchy from debris in the gap, but these things just play on.

So- any suggestions on what to use to try to repair them??

Thanks guys.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived