Two Speakers, One Channel

I am waiting on the arrival of a second set of by nines for my car. Can I splice these into the current rear speaker channel or will that cause problems for both speakers on each channel? I'm just running off the HU and factory wiring at the moment, plan to run current speakers in prefab boxes as they are and the "new" ones in factory location...any advice?

Too many projects, too little time...

if you just add them on to the set thats already there. youll be bringing the impedance down to 2 ohms. h/u's "arent" rated for 2 ohm stability. you could run into over heating problems

Edited by fritosaregood

I am waiting on the arrival of a second set of by nines for my car. Can I splice these into the current rear speaker channel or will that cause problems for both speakers on each channel? I'm just running off the HU and factory wiring at the moment, plan to run current speakers in prefab boxes as they are and the "new" ones in factory location...any advice?

That's assuming that the speakers that are in there are 4ohms & the new ones are 4ohms also. Factory speakers can have all different ohm ratings so unless you know for sure I would suggest against it. I wouldn't run anything lower than a 4ohm load off of a HU anyway.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

everythings aftermarket, mix 'n' matched. sony HU, sony by nines, and alpine type s by nines. everything's 4 ohms.

can i series parallel them?

You can't series/parallel 2 6x9's....it would be either series or parallel, so either a 2ohm or 8ohm....8ohm would be pointless because the power would be so low you would most likely blow the speakers trying to get some decent volume out of them. 2ohm would work as long as the HU can hancle that low of ohm load.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

everythings aftermarket, mix 'n' matched. sony HU, sony by nines, and alpine type s by nines. everything's 4 ohms.

can i series parallel them?

youve only got 4 speakers and 2 channels. you can either series them to get and 8 ohm load and decrease power output. or parallel with minimal power increase and a possible blown h/u next week.

i would stick with just one pair and leave it.

what is bein powered by the other 2 channels of the h/u

You can't series/parallel 2 6x9's....it would be either series or parallel, so either a 2ohm or 8ohm....8ohm would be pointless because the power would be so low you would most likely blow the speakers trying to get some decent volume out of them. 2ohm would work as long as the HU can hancle that low of ohm load.

to add more to that. the lower power wont hurt the speakers. but turning up every settin on the deck, and the volume knob up all the way to get louder will cause a big clipped signal to get thrown at the speakers and cause over heating up to thermal failure