Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Tuning Question

I hope to build a ported enclosure for my two Alpine S-10's (SWS-1042D). A plan was made for me tuning the box to a little under 40Hz. If I listen to music with notes under that frequency, will it cause the woofers to bottom out, or will it be fine?

Too many projects, too little time...

shoulda just pm'd me.... :P

they will be fine. the port dosent really effect the subs one bit.

Edited by BanginOnABudget

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

lol sorry =[

I had figured that too, but I saw elsewhere in here someone that was building a box tuned highish and someone said they thought it would cause the subs to bottom out down low.

thanks tho! =]

...now i just need to scrounge up money for some damn MDF...=/

...honestly?

I had figured that too, but I saw elsewhere in here someone that was building a box tuned highish and someone said they thought it would cause the subs to bottom out down low.

if you go below the tuning frequency of the box, the sub unloads and moves alot more. which is why you use a subsonic filter to keep those frequency's that are under your box's tuning, out of the sub.

shoulda just pm'd me.... :P

yes it does...

You will have less control under the tuning of the box which can cause bottoming out.

So adjust you sub sonic filter to compensate for that. Im not sure on the rule of thumb for tuning and ssf adjustment, but if it were mine id put it around 35 hz

i know it effects the sub, but i designed his box, so i wasnt really feeling like doing this long drawn out answer BUT since the critics saw it and questioned it, yes, the port effects your subs, the the frequency responce of your subs is such that playing under 40 hz dosent really make sence.

the box is almost perfect for his subs asfar as tuning and Q factor. its not a SPL box but the subs arent too serious, it balences pretty good.

the box you were questioning was probly an SPL box.

Edited by BanginOnABudget

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

i know it effects the sub, but i designed his box, so i wasnt really feeling like doing this long drawn out answer BUT since the critics saw it and questioned it, yes, the port effects your subs, the the frequency responce of your subs is such that playing under 40 hz dosent really make sence.

the box is almost perfect for his subs asfar as tuning and Q factor. its not a SPL box but the subs arent too serious, it balences pretty good.

the box you were questioning was probly an SPL box.

no.. its that way for all ported boxes.

im not sure i would trust a design from someone that doesnt know the simplest stuff of boxes

1- I don't think my POS amp has a subsonic filter. Its a sony "800w" 2-channel

2- My subs' response only goes 10Hz below the port tuning

3- the lowest freq I have actualyl listened to in a song was about 37Hz i believe.

I don't know if these will help at all or not, but i figured the more info the better.

1- I don't think my POS amp has a subsonic filter. Its a sony "800w" 2-channel

2- My subs' response only goes 10Hz below the port tuning

3- the lowest freq I have actualyl listened to in a song was about 37Hz i believe.

I don't know if these will help at all or not, but i figured the more info the better.

it probably doesnt.

just because the sub freq range is 31- watever hz doesnt mean it can play below that. its just the usable range.

its also hard to find out what frequency is the lowest you listen to