Anyone Ever Build Their Own Furniture? Desks?

i like nice things, which means the stuff I like even at ikea is a few hundred bux, and I dont want to have second/third/fourth hand stuff unless I have to.

So i was considering building my own out of MDF, like a basic bookshelf type dresser and a sick desk for my tv/computer/surround sound reciever/videogame consoles

I'm not sure of how my room will lay out just yet, so no plans or dimensions, but I was looking for advice as to how people may have built theirs, and mainly, how it was finished. I've been thinking of going fancy and finding like leather or vinyl as a desktop and brass tacking it in around the edges, and doing veneer on everything else, but idk where to find like large sheets of veneer like that.

anyone have any ideas as to how to join it? (like those ikea spin bolt things? screw it? glue it?)whether to use mdf or particle board? (i was thinking mdf, stronger and paintable, which is nice.) I love the idea of something custom made for my body, equipment, and space, and the designs that catch my eye seem to be running quite a few hundred dollars more than what mdf screws and veneer would cost

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

i like nice things, which means the stuff I like even at ikea is a few hundred bux, and I dont want to have second/third/fourth hand stuff unless I have to.

So i was considering building my own out of MDF, like a basic bookshelf type dresser and a sick desk for my tv/computer/surround sound reciever/videogame consoles

I'm not sure of how my room will lay out just yet, so no plans or dimensions, but I was looking for advice as to how people may have built theirs, and mainly, how it was finished. I've been thinking of going fancy and finding like leather or vinyl as a desktop and brass tacking it in around the edges, and doing veneer on everything else, but idk where to find like large sheets of veneer like that.

anyone have any ideas as to how to join it? (like those ikea spin bolt things? screw it? glue it?)whether to use mdf or particle board? (i was thinking mdf, stronger and paintable, which is nice.) I love the idea of something custom made for my body, equipment, and space, and the designs that catch my eye seem to be running quite a few hundred dollars more than what mdf screws and veneer would cost

one time i furnished an entire apartment, but i worked in a cabinet mill at the time.

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

Its not like I have any problem with the designing or building, I'm just looking for tips. places to get stuff (like veneer) or any finishing suggestions (i mean, its basically a desk and some shelves, i'll make it as nice as possible, but its a flat piece with some verticle pieces holding it up, and I cant see myself spending 300-600 bux for something i still have to friggin assemble.

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

I believe they sell veneer at parts express.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

We have 5 kids and lots of people over and wife wanted a big Breakfast nook against the wall so here is what I built:

It will seat 13 if it has to: Table is 5ft X 5ft and bench is 6ft

set.jpg

BenchSide.jpg

BenchBack.jpg

Edited by bjfails

Team Soundstream

Team Optima

Team HK

2 Soundstream SPLX-152HX

2 Soundtsream TRX2000D

1 Soundstream RUB4.600

4 Soundstream SST65

4 Soundstream TWS.3

1 Soundstream S-Cell400

1 Soundstream Power Plant

1 Soundstream BX-15

1 VMAX CT1900

2 Optima Yellow Top D34/78

1 Kenwood KDC-X493

thats all nice stuff, and pstone, that base looks like it could hold a small car, lol

and parts express stuff is perfect, 20ish bux for 36sq ft of vinyl stick on laminate, thanks 01xtreme

it really looks like maybe 100 bux AT THE MOST and a day of work will get me a sick like desk/entertainment center

and I think its just going to be screwed together and then veneered over, and i guess lost when I change houses

Team DC