More Questions About Business, Getting Customers?

oh, my debts.... they aren't really too bad. $1200 for a dentist and a bad tooth, being paid in installments but I haven't even got the bill yet.

$200 left on a speeding ticket, will be done paying in june.

credit card debt not exceeding $750, but actually only has about $300 or so outstanding.... this is a tough one since we usually end up having to use the credit card, and because it isn't paid off, we end up not having money. Im working hard to get this paid so that it is paid in full, this way when I get paid, I'll have no payments to make and won't need to use my CC .....

There is also $300 owing to my dad for 6 months of car insurance...... actually its like $600 because I've had the car for a year and been busting my ass to get out of debt..... I passed my biggest hump with the CC and the fact that I am now keeping more than half of it paid off at any given time.

If my gf would get a second job to cover the days she doesn't work we wouldn't have any problems at all for the most part.

I've been doing a little more research and it seems at this point I could stand a decent chance at getting a shop going around here. I'm still doing a LOT of research, and digging, and I've talked to my bosses, one of which is a business genius and will help me get to know the shit I need to know about business, the other is rich and knows his shit. He is willing to put up the money to get a business going as a partner (until his money has been secured :)) but he doesn't know the car audio market, and quite frankly I don't know how good the market is around here.

So, first of all, the customers, If I open a shop, how do I get the customers? How do I make them aware of my presence, and get them to the store to buy shit.

I'm considering offering services that you wouldn't find at best buy and such, things like alternator upgrades (as well as telling people the truth about caps and alts) or Big 3 upgrades, and much more down the road if business picks up.... maybe even REAL alt testing.

But how do you convince the people that this is what they actually need? why should they spend more money for something like that as opposed to just buying a cap? you know what I mean?

Secondly, how do I get to learn the market around here? How could I improve the market and make this a better place for car audio(if thats even possible, obviously not from a small business) How do I find out what people are looking for? how much money chain stores are making on car audio sales per month etc.

These are all things I need to know, I'm trying to put together a plan and some actual substance to show to my bosses and convince them i'm not just spouting out my ass.

wording is also tough... hats my purpose/goal?? Well I know what it is, but I don't know how to put it into words. I want to target the people serious into car audio, and professional services for them as well as catering to the little guy who just wants a budget system done professionally. I want to make known some of the lesser known brands, DC, RE, Sundowon, Fi etc.... you just cant buy that shit here.

I want to open up the market up here in Canukistan, Part of the shops sales would be online sales, offering Canadians a way to buy these brands from a Canadian supplier with Canadian money. Not worrying about conversion rates, shipping and duty fees, ups brokerage fees when crossing the border etc.

how do I put that whole plan into really professional words?

if you don't know everything about what you are selling and the reasons for why they should buy then you should probably not attempt this.

if you don't know everything about what you are selling and the reasons for why they should buy then you should probably not attempt this.

Just a matter of learning man. I learn really fast, and moreover understand what I'm learning. I tend to learn even faster when it's something that really interests me, i get sucked in :)

Nobody knows everything, but anyone determined to do something and be successful at it is going to have to learn, I don't think anyone would ever say they made it big by sticking with just what they know, and had nothing to learn.

Just a matter of learning man. I learn really fast, and moreover understand what I'm learning. I tend to learn even faster when it's something that really interests me, i get sucked in :)

Nobody knows everything, but anyone determined to do something and be successful at it is going to have to learn, I don't think anyone would ever say they made it big by sticking with just what they know, and had nothing to learn.

i'm not trying to tell you not to do it. i wish i had the chance to try it also.

what i meant by that was that you should probably try working at a place like that and getting some on the job training in this department before attempting to open one.

i've worked at alot of shops on and off and theres alot of stuff you need to learn by actually doing it instead of learning about it by talking to people.

keeping the books, keeping people happy, giving accurate and still reasonable price quotes (one of the hardest things)(figuring out how many hours a job will take), knowing what your workers are capable at and what they do best, keeping stock up and knowing when and how much to order of something, becoming an authorized dealer for whatever brand you choose to carry, etc, etc.

there is alot that goes into this.

when i was in high school i worked at Chick-Fil-A during the weekdays (audio shop on weekends) and the guy that eventually owned the store worked in that store in the same positions i did for about 9 months before he bought the franchise.

it wasn't that he couldn't afford the place or didn't know what he was doing business wise, it was the fact that he needed to learn how to do everything that involved basic daily upkeep and business handlings of the store before he took on that big of a responsibility.

best of luck to you though

To be honest their will always be people who need someone to install something. Just a pointer some of the products you plan on selling ain't so cheap most people want a cheap setup just to have something you know first setup deal they don't want to spend 2500 to 5000 for their first setup. Just for an example say a kicker cvr 15 you sell it at 250 when I can get it for 100 ,that I think will be factor when said and done man everybody wants everything for the cheapest price possible no matter what it is.

For the guys who go big that I know get most of it direct, for this reason cut the middle man out and you save some money.

The best advice I can give is take it slow and see what the people want.

Your installs will bring you the most profit.

J&T DESIGNS

M5

4 Audioque 15's copper coils dropping Audiopipe, and picking up DB DRIVE OKUR

Powermasters

XS POWER

Dropping MaxxSonics

Pioneer

NO! dont go join the military for the free schooling thats what the hell is wrong with shit now. i hope thats not why you joined cause that shit makes me sick. i see alot of people just join the military as a way out, not because they are interested in defending our country. if in fact you have always wanted to fight for your country then by all means go... and thank you in advance. most of these young boys i see thats all they do get in for the enlistment bounus and the school if they are not completly retarded , do there first 4 and get out the same asshole they were before but now there showin off in there new car wit 24's.....complete pussies. you join the military do it for life and because its what you always wanted. otherwise stay the hell out.

just sad...

Ride: 2001 BMW325ci

Headunit: Alpine ida-x305

High/mid: stock harmon/kardon everything: 6 tweets, 1 set of 6.5" and 1 set of 6x9, 500rms total

Sub: (1) 15" DC Audio Level 5 D2 ohm

Amp for sub: MTX 4001d

Box: custom built 3.5 cuft ported

Power: 220amp alt from ohio gen, 2 kinetik 2400s in back

(Armoredhaulin @ May 29 2009, 08:34 AM)

Why waste your time with this tool? His system sucks, that's all there really is to it. My toilet puts out more low end and flex than that thing!

NO! dont go join the military for the free schooling thats what the hell is wrong with shit now. i hope thats not why you joined cause that shit makes me sick. i see alot of people just join the military as a way out, not because they are interested in defending our country. if in fact you have always wanted to fight for your country then by all means go... and thank you in advance. most of these young boys i see thats all they do get in for the enlistment bounus and the school if they are not completly retarded , do there first 4 and get out the same asshole they were before but now there showin off in there new car wit 24's.....complete pussies. you join the military do it for life and because its what you always wanted. otherwise stay the hell out.

I've been in for 12 years now, and I came in because I had no other choice.

I ended up loving it and I'm still here,

I bet that less than 20% of the US military members came in meaning to stay for life. You have a pretty ignorant attitude about the whole thing. I have seen tons of kids come through that were on the "4 year plan" that have ended up staying in, deploying, making rank fast, and loving it - 8-10 years later. I have no problem with people joining to reap the benefits and getting out when their enlistment is up either - more power to them - having a life plan and all.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

i'm not trying to tell you not to do it. i wish i had the chance to try it also.

what i meant by that was that you should probably try working at a place like that and getting some on the job training in this department before attempting to open one.

i've worked at alot of shops on and off and theres alot of stuff you need to learn by actually doing it instead of learning about it by talking to people.

keeping the books, keeping people happy, giving accurate and still reasonable price quotes (one of the hardest things)(figuring out how many hours a job will take), knowing what your workers are capable at and what they do best, keeping stock up and knowing when and how much to order of something, becoming an authorized dealer for whatever brand you choose to carry, etc, etc.

there is alot that goes into this.

when i was in high school i worked at Chick-Fil-A during the weekdays (audio shop on weekends) and the guy that eventually owned the store worked in that store in the same positions i did for about 9 months before he bought the franchise.

it wasn't that he couldn't afford the place or didn't know what he was doing business wise, it was the fact that he needed to learn how to do everything that involved basic daily upkeep and business handlings of the store before he took on that big of a responsibility.

best of luck to you though

I absolutely agree with you here. one problem is that I currently work a job that I know i'm not going to lose, and I make more money than I would starting somewhere else. I have a family and lots of bills that I manage to get paid without being in debt. If I go work for somewhere doing this (keep in mind there are no real "pro" shops here) I will be making less and not able to pay my bills. Not only that getting hired is a huge problem..... I don't think most places would hire based on the fact that I'm just a smart guy. They want MECP. and I'm not a high school kid they can hire to sweep shop.

Learning the ins and outs of business (keeping customers happy, book upkeep etc) is the stuff I can learn from my bosses/investors, and being that they would be partners would be a great leap in helping me learn it and be successful.

Boss A is the books guy, he knows business in and out and what it takes to run it.... great guy to learn from. Boss B is also good with the business end of things, but he really has customer service down pat, most of the people who come into his clinics ONLY want to see him and no one else, and they leave so happy that they bringi na shitload of business.

Ive been dealing with ordering shit for the last 7 years, I think I have a pretty good grasp on inventory, not to say I don't have shit to learn, but it is an area where I have experience already, and lots.

Keep'em coming, what else is involved? I'm not looking at this in a discouraging way, that would be stupid. This is CLEARLY shit I need to know if I want to succeed .

To be honest their will always be people who need someone to install something. Just a pointer some of the products you plan on selling ain't so cheap most people want a cheap setup just to have something you know first setup deal they don't want to spend 2500 to 5000 for their first setup. Just for an example say a kicker cvr 15 you sell it at 250 when I can get it for 100 ,that I think will be factor when said and done man everybody wants everything for the cheapest price possible no matter what it is.

For the guys who go big that I know get most of it direct, for this reason cut the middle man out and you save some money.

The best advice I can give is take it slow and see what the people want.

Your installs will bring you the most profit.

I will be carrying products that appeal to the budget crowd. thats another thing thats pissed me off about the shops ive seen come and go over the years (and maybe part of the reason why) there shit is all expensive and doesn't appeal to budget buyers.

I would also carry brands that can be sold cheap for these people.

besides most of the people here are idiots and know nothing.... they need to be educated :) (again, not saying i'm mr know it all, but its a different brand of people around here when it comes to audio.... blingified this and capacitor that)