Second Skin Audio

Box Building Help

96saturnsl

Ok... i have never built a box before but my friend has...but hes never really put a port in them, he wants to my my Eclipse SW4200 series subs (12") and make a box to put them in...but he wants it to be close to the same size box their in now cuz they sound really good in the 2.5 cubic ft enclosure in my car...so i was wondering what size the port would have to be.....or can someone give me a formula or something to figure out how big the port would be so i can give him some measurements?....thanks to whoever helps me

1.25 cubic feet per sub is far too small for a ported enclosure. If it was 2.5 cubic feet per sub, then sure.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Yep, when dealing with ported it's a whole new ballgame. Sealed enclosures are fine for small areas and thats probably why he likes his, but you arent goin to get the same type of sound in an enclosure that size just by adding a port. I'd go atleast 2.5cubes per sub like Sean said. Also, to add something: This is why many prefabbed ported boxes sound like shit because they pretty much take a sealed box and throw a port in it with below minimum airspace and high tuning. (Bad combo) What are the max dimensions (how big) can the box be?

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

im not sure...he was basically wondering if he could put a port in it..and u answered that question for him lol...cuz i have a Saturn Sl1 and it fits in there but not by much (between the wheel wells i mean) if u go to my profile and look lol...hes trying to put it in a civic...so it would need to be small with a port....and idk what the max would be....he needed a cheap system and im selling him my Eclipse for 200 and im gonna buy some Alpine type R's ....hopefully there a good sub lol...did some research they sound decent.

Yeah Type R's are a pretty good sub. You're selling him only 1 sub or 2?

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

Archived