Second Skin Audio

Port Air Velocity Question

So I am using WinISD Alpha enclosure software. It shows a great output gain on my new vented enclosure verses my way too small sealed enclosure.

I am however worried about the Air Velocity of the port. I am very limited on space so I had to only use 24 Sq. Inches of port space for my 2) Orion HCCA 10.2. They are getting 2000W between the two woofer.

Orions dimensions called for only 18 Sq Inches so I figured 24 would be better.

The WinISD program shows a port velocity for my vented encolsure of 187 ft/s at 35Hz. Is this too much Port velocity??

Per Orions dimensions I get 238 ft/s of port velocity.

Since I am much lower than the Orion design I am sure this would be better but is 187 ft/s a lot of port velocity or what? I just dont know what # is good or bad

So I am using WinISD Alpha enclosure software. It shows a great output gain on my new vented enclosure verses my way too small sealed enclosure.

I am however worried about the Air Velocity of the port. I am very limited on space so I had to only use 24 Sq. Inches of port space for my 2) Orion HCCA 10.2. They are getting 2000W between the two woofer.

Orions dimensions called for only 18 Sq Inches so I figured 24 would be better.

The WinISD program shows a port velocity for my vented encolsure of 187 ft/s at 35Hz. Is this too much Port velocity??

Per Orions dimensions I get 238 ft/s of port velocity.

Since I am much lower than the Orion design I am sure this would be better but is 187 ft/s a lot of port velocity or what? I just dont know what # is good or bad

You really want to keep it below 110ft/sec and even that is high. You really want to keep that number low and I usually aim for less than 70 ft/sec.

The woofers might suck all the air out your lungs

(if you stand too close)

When the monster hums

well, I am so limited in size ,im pretty much screwed. I figured that would be too much. In order to bring that down I would have to double the size of my port which would put my port length at like 40" which would be impossible for my size constraints. I hate being limited to size!

yeah, ntm those subs move, i have their big brother (HCCA 12's) and they move almost 4'' inches from peak to peak, so they do displace air rather quickly

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

Well, I put a subsonic filter on this program and it brings my air velocity down to 152 ft/s with the filter at 30Hz.

With the filter at 37Hz the velocity is down to 127 ft/s

I have the 37Hz subsonic filter built into my Line driver but with my enclosure tuned to 36Hz I know I dont want to run that high of a freq. on my subsonic.

yeah, ntm those subs move, i have their big brother (HCCA 12's) and they move almost 4'' inches from peak to peak, so they do displace air rather quickly

Excursion has little to do with maximum port velocity. A sub with 1" of excursion could generate more port air velocity than your sub with "4 inches p-p" excursion