So i tried painting some interior plastic pieces. I got some bubbles rising on some places, some shitty shit on other plastic pieces. I Skipped sanding just because i dont have much time and i duno, im an idiot. I know you should sand. In epicenterdesigns' how to it says to wet sand. What exactly is wet sanding? I mean i got a general idea but yea... Would wet sanding the plastic piece make it have a smoother surface as opposed to just sanding, or would they both have the same outcome on the surface of the plastic?. Should i sand by hand or with an electrical sander? Oh i also did not use filler primer because i didnt have any. So i should definetly get some of that. I am looking for a site on where i can buy Du Pont paint and primer and such.

But you know, spring break is right around the corner and i can sand down everything, go through all the steps properly, and have some good work. So that is what i am hoping for.

Baylor University

Accounting

Wet sanding is thoroughly spraying down the piece with water to prevent direct contact with sandpaper, thus allowing you to sand lightly in between paint coats. Don't bother with this until you actually start spraying, it hardly sands anything. But once you start painting, it makes a lot of difference in the smoothness of the finish.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

The water will carry the dust away from the surface and keep your sandpaper from clogging and it will last longer.

Don't forget the adhesion promoter

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

On interior plastic pieces and panels, it is recommended to wet sand.

Do this by hand on smaller parts and if you use some form of mechanicall sander, use a light grit so you don't heat the plastic up and start melting it. When it starts to melt, more oils rise to the top and you need to sand them down by hand anyways.

Wet sanding will help the sand paper stay cleaner longer. It also helps it slide across the surfuse smoother, leaving less sanding marks.

Texas tech, you even admitted to skipping steps, so don't be surprised by the results. You didn't have time then, but now you need to go back to square 1. Even more time.

If you must use spray can primer, use SEM Filler primers. http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=148

148_a.jpg

To properly wet sand, use some soapy warm water if possible. It will clean the surface at the same time. I usually keep a bucket of water beside me and use a squirt bottle to keep the paper and surface wet.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Kicker - If it doesn't keep the paper clean why use water in your opinion?

Some people DO sand in between coats, you don't have to, unless maybe you exceeded the time between coats. You think the really nice paint jobs are only sanded once after the last coat of clear?

Please do tell :lol:

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

I know man, and i know that is why it came out so shitty.

Wet sanding is thoroughly spraying down the piece with water to prevent direct contact with sandpaper, thus allowing you to sand lightly in between paint coats. Don't bother with this until you actually start spraying, it hardly sands anything. But once you start painting, it makes a lot of difference in the smoothness of the finish.

On EpicenterDesigns' How to it says to wet sand right after you clean the plastic piece off. You wet sand to get the grain out with diiferent grit sandpaper.(80,150, then 220)

After the primer is applied then you wetsand lightly with a 220 grit, then a final 400 grit.

So according to his How to he says to wetsand even before any spraying.

I am going to electrically sand down the pieces to get the paint and primer off, then start from the first step and do it right.

Baylor University

Accounting

So i should be SEM Filler Primer, i will try to order some online tonight

Does the High Build part in the title of "High Build Primer Surfaces" mean Filler

Edited by Texas Tech

Baylor University

Accounting