mikeg321 Posted June 5, 2009 Report Posted June 5, 2009 Hi I'm a long time reader and a first time poster on this forum and I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I'm building a box for 2 15" BTL's that's going to replace the back seat in my car (daily driver) and I need some advice on the design. I've come up with three ideas and I'll list the pros and cons that I've come up with 1. a box with an angled back wall pros: it'd be around 9 cubes net vol. so it'd be a decent size for the subs, it would use all the available space in the back seat area for the box, and it'd probably look the best, cons: this will only be my third box build and I think it'll be hard to get all the angles right 2. just a rectangular box, pros: easiest to build, cons: it'd only be around 6 cubes net vol. which I think is a little small for the subs 3. a box that would be made in two sections and joined in the car. the first section would be the same size as idea 2 and the second section would be attached to the back of the box and extend into the trunk, pros: I could make the vol. ideal for the subs, cons: it might be a pain in the ass to join the sections in the car, and I don't know how a design like this will affect the performance and the sq of the box (I'm not really going for sq but I don't want it to sound like s**t). Another question I have is I want to mount the subs facing up and the port firing forward would it be noticeably louder with the subs facing forward and the port firing forward? Or would that be something that's kind of vehicle specific that I'd have to experiment with? Also any advice on securing the box I don't want it to become a 200lb projectile in a worst case scenario. I was thinking about using some 3/4" all thread rods and bolting it to the floor any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Mike 4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's 2 Crescendo bc5500s Crescendo c1100.4 6 focal mids Vifa tweets 5 XS Power d3100's Pioneer avh-p4200dvd All crammed into a mustang. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/
sound xtreme Posted June 5, 2009 Report Posted June 5, 2009 while it may not be easy to build, you always want to go as big as possible, you can always make it smaller. Also, take your time building it, dont hurry through it just to get it done, chances are it wont come out right and you will have to do it over again, taking even more time and costing more money 1997 Astro front:6 sets of T3 componets Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP) Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K) Batts: Alt: Ohio Generator 1996 Chevy Suburban Sub amp: A fifth really big amp Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)
raytard Posted June 5, 2009 Report Posted June 5, 2009 take your sweet ass time and do it angled only way to learn is to try, and if you mess it up real bad you're just out like 20 bux of mdf, so its not the end of the world Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now) Team DC
mikeg321 Posted June 7, 2009 Author Report Posted June 7, 2009 Thanks for the advice I think I'll try to build a box with an angled back wall. Now I just need to figure out how to secure the box. 4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's 2 Crescendo bc5500s Crescendo c1100.4 6 focal mids Vifa tweets 5 XS Power d3100's Pioneer avh-p4200dvd All crammed into a mustang. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.