Sonic Electronix

Just got a scoshe 1/2 farad cap at a garage sale for free. Plan on using it for its voltage meter in a small setup. The bottom of it is bubbled out and thats usually a bad thing in an amps capacitors. How can I test it? If a cap is broken will it break the circuit or just let it pass through. Even though its hooked up and there's 14.4 going through it how do I know its actually working? I don't generally like using capacitors but its too small to be worth selling so might as well use it for the voltage meter. Someone tell me how to test it or its going in and I'll just have to hope the cap is working.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Charge it, pull it out of your system and put a headlight bulb across the terminals. See how long the bulb stays on for, if you want to get really intense you could time it and crunch the numbers to work out the exact capacitance...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Charge it, pull it out of your system and put a headlight bulb across the terminals. See how long the bulb stays on for, if you want to get really intense you could time it and crunch the numbers to work out the exact capacitance...

Hey thanks. Figured there was something simple.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Archived