Sonic Electronix

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/245156/

There was a comp today and a reporter showed up. I'm not sure if this is just on the website or if it made the actual paper. I gave this reporter a demo and he about shit himself. Wish I had it on video, gonna have to invest in a decent camera. Pretty cool to get some 'ink' I guess.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

Damn, didn't know you had to register for that site. Here's the actual article, it's short:

Audio addicts raise the woof

The rear window of Caleb Paulson’s Saturn is stenciled with a little attitude: “If it’s too loud … you’re too old.”

By: Patrick Springer, INFORUM

The rear window of Caleb Paulson’s Saturn is stenciled with a little attitude: “If it’s too loud … you’re too old.”

The 17-year-old from Dickinson, N.D., fit right in at a competition Sunday at a parking lot in east Moorhead called “Audio Heads Mobile Madness.”

It could have been called “Guys with really loud car sound systems.”

Welcome to the subwoofer subculture.

About 30 competitors came from as far away as Glendive, Mont., and the Twin Cities to find out whose car audio system could crank out the most decibels.

That would be Bruce Dufner, whose Chevy Astro van topped the sound scale with 156.5 decibels. For the curious, that’s louder than a military jet taking off, a noise that produces about 140 decibels.

The 51-year-old railroad worker from Glendive did it with a huge set of speakers hooked up to four amplifiers powered by an array of 18 batteries, all concealed behind dark glass windows.

His competition theme song? A test disc playing a frequency of 62 hertz.

It’s natural to ask why, a question often met with an evasive shrug and a mischievous smile. Here’s Dufner’s stab at an answer:

“Just to be louder than anyone else. Just like any competition, you want to be better than anyone else.”

For the more musically inclined, rap is heavily favored because of its pulsing bass beats, the soundtrack of the subwoofer set.

Honors for the loudest actual car at Sunday’s competition, sanctioned by the Mobile Electronics Competition Association, went to Leif Wall, 30, of Grand Forks, N.D.

He has a Chevy Impala with a backseat occupied by big subwoofer speakers, but otherwise unimpressive and even a bit drab looking with an unwashed cream paint job.

Or, as Wall puts it, “This one’s built for sound.”

His Impala’s sound system, which, he’s proud to point out, is rigged to play music, not merely test frequencies, blared a respectable 151.4 decibels.

“The first time I heard bass I fell in love,” he says. “It’s hard to explain, but I’ve been into audio, stereos, my whole life.”

Many of the auto audio heads who turned out for Sunday’s competition spoke of the thrill of feeling the bass vibrate, turning their cars and their bodies into extensions of their speakers.

Wall’s hearing, by the way, recently was tested, and checks out fine. The high frequencies are the first to go, he says, but audio heads specialize in low frequencies.

Still, the pain threshold to the human ear is 130 decibels, and 160 decibels can puncture an eardrum.

A few, like JoJo Rusten, have paid the price for their high-decibel hobby. He once was fined $120 by a police officer who was waiting at a stop light three cars ahead of him.

“He said I was shaking his laptop,” he says.

A visitor wants to know: Isn’t anybody worried, just a little, about hearing loss? The question elicits laughter.

“We’re all young,” Rusten, 23, says. “We’ve got time to live.”

And time to be loud.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

That reporter asked about bumping in public, when we do it, hours of the day etc... He forgot to mention what I told him. :01nocomment8so: It'll be sweeter if it's in the actual paper and not just the website, I'm sure more people just read the website.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

What do you guys think about bumping in traffic. I dont do it until I get that look. You no the look your pulling up to the the light turnning your shit down and they give the look like you just ruined there day. Thats when volume goes up and the knob gets cranked. Both are cars are shaking and there pissed even more than before. :aggressive:

I wish every body had beat so I wouldnt have to turn my shit down. Fosgate for life running there shit since I was 16 going on 15 years strong. Not stopping any time soon.

What do you guys think about bumping in traffic. I dont do it until I get that look. You no the look your pulling up to the the light turnning your shit down and they give the look like you just ruined there day. Thats when volume goes up and the knob gets cranked. Both are cars are shaking and there pissed even more than before. :aggressive:

I don't bump at stop lights.

I leave it just high enough for me to hear.

Oh yeah I love when people do that. haha I am just like ORLY? pull up closer and crank that bass!! Man my neighbors are gonna be pissed when I am done with my new build haha!

Oh yeah I love when people do that. haha I am just like ORLY? pull up closer and crank that bass!! Man my neighbors are gonna be pissed when I am done with my new build haha!

I love my neighbors they never complain and always want to come see what im working on. One of my neighbors always says its a 100 times better then living next to a crack house.

I wish every body had beat so I wouldnt have to turn my shit down. Fosgate for life running there shit since I was 16 going on 15 years strong. Not stopping any time soon.

I always turn mine down when i pull up to a light and I wait. & when I hear some kid in a civic with the trink deck rattling I crank the sub level. People would give me this disgusted look. I try to respect people, but sometimes temptation gets the best of me. I cant wait to finish my current install. Can anyone say...

"Yes officer?"

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

I always turn mine down when i pull up to a light and I wait. & when I hear some kid in a civic with the trink deck rattling I crank the sub level. People would give me this disgusted look. I try to respect people, but sometimes temptation gets the best of me. I cant wait to finish my current install. Can anyone say...

"Yes officer?"

Oh I also forgot about the people who smoke in traffic if i can smell your cigs your going to be subject to my beat for as long as i can smell it. Sometimes i will get a nastey headache from cig smoke. :spiteful: