Sonic Electronix

my friend keeps telling me that getting a cap is like getting a second battery. How do i explain to him that a cap is useless

Once or twice I have missed having a back seat / rear hatch, but all in all people love to see a walled vehcile. It just screams "i'm not fucking around with my setup, im loud"

Capacitors are for quick discharge to level out the spikes in the the bass. They are best used when you have minimal to zero voltage drop. They are useless when used "to make your headlights not dim" because that is not their purpose. Its a shame that caps have now become to one fix all voltage drop.

A battery is for storing electrical power over a constant period of time, like when playing your system. Caps are virtually useless on higher end systems which is why you almost NEVER see people using them who know what they are doing.

my friend keeps telling me that getting a cap is like getting a second battery. How do i explain to him that a cap is useless
They aren't useless, they just aren't used properly most of the time. They should be used to maintain a steady voltage but are mostly used to provide current in overexerted electrical systems. Alot of us get the dreaded disco lights, aka dimming, and most of the time guys will add a cap and think that's going to fix the problem. In situations like that they are pretty much useless. But if you've got a sufficient charging system that provides plenty of juice, a cap will help by stabilizing the voltage on heavy bass drops.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Caps are really only good if you got like no volt drop, as far as i understood them. all they do it store a quick brust of power, unlike batteries they charge and dis charge very fast, but if you don't have the extra juice to feed them they are not helping you, thats why you see now they got bat/caps. i myself run extra battery and a cap. do i really need the cap? prolly not but i had it sitting around so i figured it wouldn't hurt to use it. but say if i can't even keep the voltage to keep my amp above 12v then all the cap is going to do it make it worse since thats going to suck up a charge and discharge everytime the bass hits.

thats what i understand about caps right now i'm sure someone else can bring more light to this, but then again it depens who you talk to as well

just my 2 cents

Capacitors are for quick discharge to level out the spikes in the the bass. They are best used when you have minimal to zero voltage drop. They are useless when used "to make your headlights not dim" because that is not their purpose. Its a shame that caps have now become to one fix all voltage drop.

A battery is for storing electrical power over a constant period of time, like when playing your system. Caps are virtually useless on higher end systems which is why you almost NEVER see people using them who know what they are doing.

So are they good for low end systems like the one in my sig.??? I mean, I never used a cap until recently and never noticed the difference in my sound.

Edit: Sorry OP, but I don't mean to thread hijack. I just wanted to respond to RamenNoodles post.

Edited by k3n12ock

So are they good for low end systems like the one in my sig.??? I mean, I never used a cap until recently and never noticed the difference in my sound.

Edit: Sorry OP, but I don't mean to thread hijack. I just wanted to respond to RamenNoodles post.

You probably wont notice an audible different when using a cap, but they can help find tune your electrical. I dont recommend them to anyone no matter what the circumstances, but you would be fine running one for a little while with that system, granted you dont upgrade to something larger.