So I've been wanting to learn how to play the acoustic guitar for years now, just never started and I regret it now. I played the drums for 3 years and can play bass if you give me tabs lol. I'm looking for a guitar to start with, around the 100 bucks range since I don't even know if I'll be sticking with it. Right now I'm looking at a few Epiphones because they're cheap and have good reviews but I have no clue about guitar brands. Anyone have any recomendations? Also, what the easiest way to go about learning to play? I took lessons to learn drums for a few months, but between school and work I don't have time for lessons anymore.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

this is how my favorite guitarist on youtube learned to play. in his words...

"I started playing when I was 15. My dad showed me a few of the basic 6-string chords: A, C, D, E, G, etc. I practiced these chords until I had them down. Then, I got some "easy" series tab books for Metallica. I'm not sure if they still make them, but these tab books showed very basic ways to play the songs, i.e. they weren't 100% accurate in terms of detail, but they got the main points across. I also got a Nirvana - Nevermind tab book and some Megadeth tab books. I basically learned to play the riffs from these bands that were relatively easy for a beginner. I absolutely loved playing, so I would practice as much as 5 hours a day during my first 2 years (while I was still in high school and had the time!).

After about 8 months of playing, I decided to take a couple of lessons. My instructor showed me that I was using improper form--I learned to play everything with my thumb wrapped around the neck, instead of resting it against the middle of the back of the neck. I also held the pick improperly (I didn't correct this until recent as you can see in my older vids). This set me way back in my learning--I basically had to re-learn how to play and I was so frustrated that I almost quit. Based on this experience, I feel that it may be worthwhile for beginners to take a couple of lessons to develop proper form. After that, it's up to the individual to decide if he/she should continue with lessons. Personally, I found the traditional approach of learning scales and doing exercises to be extremely boring compared to playing along with songs and writing my own music, so I quit after about a half dozen lessons.

So, basically, I taught myself how to play by simply practicing A LOT and playing the music that I wanted to play. The "easy series" tab books helped a lot, and I gradually progressed to the "real" tab books. Eventually I could transcribe songs by ear.

Late last year I purchased John Petrucci’s “Rock Discipline” instructional DVD, and I’ve been practicing many of the exercises he suggests. It is definitely working, as I can tell my dexterity is improving the more I practice those drills. I highly recommend the video for anyone looking to improve his/her shredding skills. You can get this DVD at any online music store (musiciansfriend.com, guitarcenter.com, zzounds.com, etc.)."

btw his name is KillrBuckeye on youtube...check him out.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

If you do actually have a strive to learn to play then it's going to be easy for you to learn. The main thing to realize is to not put a time frame on how fast you're learning to play. The hell with those jackasses that will tell you, "oh I just learned to play a couple weeks ago", that will just piss you off cause %99 of the time they are full of shit.

Don't try and learn off of youtube how to play stuff either, you will just get distracted with so many songs that you'll forget what you were trying to learn in the first place. Teach yourself about 2-3 chords every two days and learn all the major/minor chords. That will be the hardest part, because at that time you will be learning but not applying it to it's fullest. After you've got a few chords, start looking for songs that you LIKE, that look like they have an easy melody to them.

Great site WWW.ultimateguitar.com. They will have tab forms and chord forms for songs usually. Find some easy songs and start applying what you know. Print out the songs with the chords, when you come across a chord you haven't learned yet, draw a little diagram of it on the side of the page so you can remember it, then just keep playing. Keep up doing like that then start adding more to your playing and learn some riffs to throw in. Look up some tabs for songs you like, learn to play.

My primary acoustic is a cheapo ibanez, however it's a great guitar. I love having it because I know I can throw it in my truck and go, and even if need be I can shove it in the toolbox and lock it up. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...?sku=581659#new

Runs $200, and I will say there's better out there, but that's just what I use and it's been great to me. I will definitely be upgrading the tuners however.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner