Alternative power supply?

Yo! :yahoo:

I know you can use a computer power supply to run a car amplifier in your house, but can you use other power supplys than that, for example is it possible to use the power supply from a microwave oven or the vacuum cleaner instead of a computer power supply to run the car amplifier.

Personally i dont see a problem as long as the voltage is right etc etc.

Is it possible? im just curious :pardon:

I'm not an expert but I think current is the biggest issue and 2nd would probly be ah shit I just forgot the word, in long, some of those power supplies might induce noise into what you want to use.

EDIT: filter- filtered output

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

LOL just save up and do it rite.

My test bench.

IMG_2129.jpg

and a nice little temperary setup for the shop while I'm doing my install.

Samlex Power Supply 23 amps continue-us (can't spell) around $100 and has been great.

IMG_2121.jpg

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

^^^ Yep, thats the way to do it

I was on a job site where a "engineer" thought we could use power supplies to run these 60amp 12v DC servo motors

I laughed at him, those computer power supplies are good for 5amp and under I believe, but with some big amperage, its all about batteries, and battery chargers

We found a 60amp 12v power supply that we wired to 1 battery, and 1 supply, to 2 of these motors, just turned one on at a time, and eventually had 4 motors running on 2 batteries, and 2 supplies

(motors were 60amp peak, 20amp continuous use after warm up)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived