Second Skin Audio

Enclosure help Please so I can get building!

Ive been told through another post I need to stick to Atomics enclosure reccommendation to get the most out of my APX 18 the enclosure info says sub and port displacement is already figured in their equation which is

APX18-ported 6.0ft3 (40six10”long) ( 32Hz)=5000w (SB) So do I figure 6 cubes as if it was sealed then do the port to fit their req.? and I dont know how to read thier port rec. I see a 10" long port, 6" wide, but whats the 40. or is it 6" in height? Please help so I can get this box built! Or if someone wants to give me an easy out and tell me exact outside measurements (.75 MDF.) I have up to 50" in width, 25" in height and 19" depth. Thanks guys!!!

Thats 40 sq inches X 10" long. That seems really small to me.

Which speaker do you have the APX18Q2 or the APX18Q.5 ?

Going by the port area rules I have read your looking at 72 - 96 sq in of port area. That and the length depend on the box. And the 6ft^3 is the area you need to net after port and speaker displacement.

I dont have any fancy modeling software but using an online calc real quick I got this. 6 X12 port 18.58 in long. Thats for 32hz tuning with your box being net 6ft^3. Port length changes if you make the sides different lengths but keep the same area, just so you know.

If you went to the max 96 sq in you would be 6 X 16 22 in long.

Edited by fshanda

Then if you just want big and to have some fun try it in a T-Line box. Im about to try my first for my 12" TC-9.

Guessing at your cone dia center to center of your surround at 16.5 in I came up with this. You would need a constant port area 18" X 11.8" 8.8 ft long. That would give you your mounting depth easily and you could probably stick with a single layer of 3/4 mdf since the box will be braced all the way thru. Its probably around the same size as the 6 cube box you were going to build.

Edited by fshanda

I have the 18 D2. Atomic told me specifically dont listen to what anyone says, do exactly as they say. Problem is I cant figure out what that is. So I need 6 cubes net with a port 40 sq. in. 10" long? I dont see how that is hard fact. Wouldnt the port size change depending on the box dimensions?

If your going to build it to their spec then its 6ft^3 with 40 sq in of port 10" long. I would do a square or round port if you going that small. Unless they recommend something different.

Normally it does change with the size of the enclosure. I dont build anything to spec anymore. I try to stick around the recommended enclosure size but use the calculators to get the port area and lengths. I have been sticking with 14 - 16 sq in of port per cube. Most calculators come out around 12in. per cube.

I used Alpines specs on my first design with a 3" round port for my 10" Type-R and it had some mad port noise. Thats why I find my own port area and lengths now. You could always make the port removable and then you have the option to try different lengths and sizes to see what sounds best. Thats a lot more work though.

Edited by fshanda