Car Audio Setup In Home Question

Ok my friend came to me with an interesting question. He pulled a power supply out of an old computer he said it was 250watt power supply and he has two crappy pep boy 10in visionik subs and he was wondering if he could buy the cheapo visionik amp that went with it and power the amp with the computer power supply. i think this is the amp that would go with those subs

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-06-VISONIK-V117SX-...1QQcmdZViewItem

would this work or not? i cant tell if this is a good idea or an utterly retarded one

Nope it wouldn't work. You'd burn up the power supply because that amp has a 12-16vdc current draw of 20amps and that 250watt power supply most likely can only supply around 10amps max at 13.5vdc. It would work if you didnt turn the volume up past halfway and turned the gains down, but if not the amp will put out a horribly clipped signal due to the lack of power being given to it. The power supply should say somewhere on it how much it is capable of putting out at different voltages and tell you the color codes for each. If you got a 1000watt power supply then it would be a different story, but you might as well buy another home receiver to power those subs from a 2nd hand store or something for as much as thats gonna cost.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

Archived