Optima vs Capacitor?

Ok so I have another sub arriving tomorrow to add to my setup and my system will now be wired down to 1 ohm with this addition and my amp will be putting out 300 more rms. Right now Its putting out 1170 @ 14.4 and it will be going to [email protected] I have an 06 silverado and the voltage sometimes decides to stay at 14 for a few minutes but most of the time drops down to around 13. I was talking to a guy at Advance auto parts and he was saying an optima yellow top substituted for my stock battery would stop this from happening because it puts out 150 extra amps than my truck calls for. Is this true? im wondering what i would gain from switching to a better battery or getting a cap? what are my options? Will It stop my voltage drop if i switch to a yellow top or can I add a yellow top on top of my stock battery without getting a H/O alternator??

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

I have been looking around trying to find what all I will need as far as electrical upgrades goes and wondered some of the same questions. The yellow top will help a little, but a stronger battery can be used instead of a yellow top. Also, I have read many times that a cap is no good if you have voltage drop issues. As for a HO alt. I would suggest it.

I have been looking around trying to find what all I will need as far as electrical upgrades goes and wondered some of the same questions. The yellow top will help a little, but a stronger battery can be used instead of a yellow top. Also, I have read many times that a cap is no good if you have voltage drop issues. As for a HO alt. I would suggest it.

So replacing my stock battery with something better than a yellow top would help more and stop my voltage drops? If so what are some better batteries and what are the prices? Auto zone and Advance and consumerauto parts are all selling the yellow top at 164 $ i believe

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

So replacing my stock battery with something better than a yellow top would help more and stop my voltage drops? If so what are some better batteries and what are the prices? Auto zone and Advance and consumerauto parts are all selling the yellow top at 164 $ i believe

I just want to get all I can out of the setup I have without throwing too much money into the electrical (HO alts and multiple batteries)

I just want the cheapest and easiest way to stop my voltage from dropping because I do notice the system has a little more bang behind it when Im up at 14 or more volts

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

Getting a better battery will help, it wont stop voltage drop completely. Check out XS Power and Kinetik batteries. There are others as well. That is a good price for a yellow top, but expect to pay more for more power. I'd say at least $200 for a good battery, probably closer to $300 for the right one.

Getting a better battery will help, it wont stop voltage drop completely. Check out XS Power and Kinetik batteries. There are others as well. That is a good price for a yellow top, but expect to pay more for more power. I'd say at least $200 for a good battery, probably closer to $300 for the right one.

that battery wouldnt kill my stock alt? Sorry if i sound dumb but i dont understand anything electrical. The yellow top the guy was showin me at the store today was a 750 amp and he said my truck only calls for 600 amps. That battery says 2000 amps... below are the specs, I dont know what 75 Ah means either.

D3400

Weight Lbs. - 47.62

Weight Kgs. - 21.06

Length - 10.25in

Width - 6.88in

Height - 7.05in

MAX Amps - 2000

Ah - 75

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

get a batcap, VERY fast discharge like a capacitor but holds power like a battery. DO IT!! get like a 800 or 2000 and you'll be more than happy

Not to thread jack, but what is this batcap you speak of? Where can I get more info?

that battery wouldnt kill my stock alt? Sorry if i sound dumb but i dont understand anything electrical. The yellow top the guy was showin me at the store today was a 750 amp and he said my truck only calls for 600 amps. That battery says 2000 amps... below are the specs, I dont know what 75 Ah means either.

D3400

Weight Lbs. - 47.62

Weight Kgs. - 21.06

Length - 10.25in

Width - 6.88in

Height - 7.05in

MAX Amps - 2000

Ah - 75

No the battery wont kill your alternator. What can kill you alternator is having it run at full capacity at all times trying to keep up with the amperage draw from all the electrical in the truck. More amp rating in a battery is more power it can provide for its Ah(Amp hour) rating. Ah rating is how much power it takes to drain the battery in one hour. So a 75 amp load on the batt will kill it in one hour(without the alt charging it that is).

Your truck calls for 600 amps in stock form. You now have a much higher load than stock on your electrical system now.

Archived