Second Skin Audio

In Phase and Out of Phase

just the other day, sumthin told me to check my polarity on all my speakers and realized that one of my subs was out of phase (2 12's)...i wired it correctly and im not sure if i hear or feel a difference...just curious if theres n e 1 that has half of their subs in phase and half out?? maybe i heard certain notes a little better when i had one outta phase...not too sure tho :unknw:

If they were out of phase you shouldnt have gotten much if any sound iirc. I mean, the waves would cancel eachother out, and therefore there should be no sound. You sure it was out of phase?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

If they were out of phase you shouldnt have gotten much if any sound iirc. I mean, the waves would cancel eachother out, and therefore there should be no sound. You sure it was out of phase?

yes sir...checked it wit a battery and it was movin inwards...i was getting sound. bass and all...just not sure if i cant tell the difference between then and now, besides the fact that i heard certain sounds more...i think

If it was 1/2 of them, then you would here sound, but it would be very muted. If 1/3 or 1/4 was out of phase, it would be less noticeable. If they were covered in some way but the seats, then it would only be noticeable with a mic.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

If it was 1/2 of them, then you would here sound, but it would be very muted. If 1/3 or 1/4 was out of phase, it would be less noticeable. If they were covered in some way but the seats, then it would only be noticeable with a mic.

You sure??? I mean, in theory, if there were 2 subs exactly the same getting the same signals in a single chamber, they would completely cancel each other out, wouldnt they? If it were one out of 3 then the 2 would overpower it and it should only sound like there were 1 sub not 3. 1 out of 4, it should sound like 2 subs, i would assume, just going off what i remember from HS physics a few years back now.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

If your subs were out of phase from the beginning, you would have been VERY unhappy with your system so far.

What kind of amp are you using?

my favorite bullshit 1200 watt sony xplod amp. lol which is definitely NOT near 1200 watts rms...i dont even kno the rms...but i still get a nice every day ride sound!

Theory doesn't always translate into reality. I've tried it myself with two subs. I could hear the sound, but it was noticeably muted. The 700 watt amp powering them sounded more like a 50 watt.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

Theory doesn't always translate into reality. I've tried it myself with two subs. I could hear the sound, but it was noticeably muted. The 700 watt amp powering them sounded more like a 50 watt.

i think ima take my subs out the box to c how they're wired...(i bought them in the box already...) make sure they're wired how they're supposed to b...

my favorite bullshit 1200 watt sony xplod amp. lol which is definitely NOT near 1200 watts rms...i dont even kno the rms...but i still get a nice every day ride sound!

I know. I had the 800 watt one. I plugged it into my 4x6 dash speakers (35 watts each) and at full power they were barely sweating. Then it took a dump in it's electronic pants and hasn't worked since.

/Back on topic now

Edited by 1992Chevy

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png