Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

10" L7 problems


B4SSB0Y

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ugh so a few months back the surround on one of my subs came unglued on one or 2 sides, Ive had them roughly 2 years... so they are out of warranty. Im good friends with a guy that owns a local shop (which I had gotten the subs through), he re-glued the surround.. sub worked great when I got it back. 2 weeks ago I got a second xtant x1001 amp so I can run one to each sub (i know its double the rms on the sub at the ohm load im running but had the gains low enough and no clipping). Today I was driving down the road had rained hard lastnite and was really humid out, had the stereo playin at my avg volume level when all a sudden i heard a change in the sound. Imediately shut the subchannel off on the headunit and looked back, sure enough the surround came un-glued again. Now I know there arent any available recones for these subs and honestly dont think that I need to recone just need to reglue (thinkin he didnt use enough glue or enough activater when he glued it). My problem is there is a bit of glue stuck to the underside of the surround and the glue is extremely hard, how do I go about getting that old glue off? I plan to wrap the basket under the cone with plastic and taking a small wire wheel on my drill to the basket to clean that glue up (cant get in there with a knife worth crap as the cone cant come out without breaking the spider. Im on a VERY tight budget but dont really want to drop down to 1 sub. Hopefully someone on here has some hints or ideas of a way to get that glue off the bottom of the surround to re-glue. Also anyone got some good tips how to reglue it and make sure the coil stays aligned?

Car - 99 Neon Sport

Batt - 1 Redtop up front On 200A Excessive Amperage alt

Sub - 2 12" Kicker L7's in ~2 cuft @ 36hz each on a Xtant X1001 @ 1 ohm

Front Highs/Mids - JVC CS-FS6 and Infinity 6022i on Xtant A2002

Rear Highs/Mids - None

HU - Pioneer DEH-P8600MP

1/0 wire ran thru entire car aswell as big3

DB - 144.5 @ Dash.

Posted

I used a power drill with a sanding disk to remove the glue so the wire brush attachment should be just fine to remove the excess glue.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

Posted

That will work fine for getting it off the basket but what about whats left on the surround? wife said maybe nail polish remover?

Car - 99 Neon Sport

Batt - 1 Redtop up front On 200A Excessive Amperage alt

Sub - 2 12" Kicker L7's in ~2 cuft @ 36hz each on a Xtant X1001 @ 1 ohm

Front Highs/Mids - JVC CS-FS6 and Infinity 6022i on Xtant A2002

Rear Highs/Mids - None

HU - Pioneer DEH-P8600MP

1/0 wire ran thru entire car aswell as big3

DB - 144.5 @ Dash.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3202 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...