major pioneer headunit problem

last night i was testing some older amps i think they are lrom the later 80s . they r from my dads old system. i was testing an old proton amp i wired every thing up wen i started playing music the bass was super weak almost not even there so i messed with the gains and and they didnt do much. the was also a slight burning smell but i couldnt figured out where it was coming from it wasnt near the amp so i unplugged the battery and disconnected the amp. then i installed my other amp that i know works fine its also an older amp its a pyramid rated at 600 bridged max. when i connected it and turned it the music hadnt even started the reciever was just turned on the subs had like a pulse they would beat like twice a second and they were moving about 3/4" wen they would do the pulse thing. so i diconnected the batt again. then i got my dads old alpine amp idk wat its rated but its an alpine 3552. i hooked it up and the same thing happened. i was using the alpine amp earlier in the day testing it and it was fine. i have an rca adapter for my ipod so i hooked that up to the amp and it played fine. the problem is i just dont have any mids and highs. so today i tried using the other output on the reciver. its a full range output and it works fine but i cant adjust the bass. wen i turn the bass up on the eq it makes my mids and highs sound bad and really distorts on them. i need the other output for my subs i just dont know wat to do to fix it.

i can plug my ipod into it tho and it sounds fine. so i was thinkin it was with the outputs

Yeah, def. sounds like a problem in the HU. I have seen lost of people say that Pioneer is bad for that. I have had 2 different Pioneer HUs and no problems for me. Luck of the draw I guess.

Not sure if that would be cost effective to send in for repair.

Edited by hdrox88

Yeah, def. sounds like a problem in the HU. I have seen lost of people say that Pioneer is bad for that. I have had 2 different Pioneer HUs and no problems for me. Luck of the draw I guess.

Not sure if that would be cost effective to send in for repair.

ok.

Theres a small "fuse" i think its a diode or something on the pre-outs in the headunit, you fried that. I had the same issue with my old JVC and my pioneer thats in my beater car. Now that I think about it I had the same thing happen with my newest pionner HU aswell, if its not under warranty and you cant replace it just ground the outside casing on the rca's to the headunit and it should go away. Ive been told this can do no harm and havent had any issues with mine since I did that.

Car - 99 Neon Sport

Batt - 1 Redtop up front On 200A Excessive Amperage alt

Sub - 2 12" Kicker L7's in ~2 cuft @ 36hz each on a Xtant X1001 @ 1 ohm

Front Highs/Mids - JVC CS-FS6 and Infinity 6022i on Xtant A2002

Rear Highs/Mids - None

HU - Pioneer DEH-P8600MP

1/0 wire ran thru entire car aswell as big3

DB - 144.5 @ Dash.

Hear of this all the time with pioneer HUs. Had one do it to me, cost me 70 to have it repaired. I guess just a design flaw? There is a "proper" way of connecting and disconnecting stuff to make sure it doesnt happen but i dont really remember it. I think it was something about always connect RCAs last and Disco them first and make sure nothing is turned on because amps and shit try and use the rcas to ground or something and it blows that fuse or something. dont flame if im wrong or worded incorrectly, im effing tired.

2001 Bravada (2wd) Pewter on 24's

JVC KW-AV60BT

10 Alpine Type-S 6.5s

2 PSI/BTL 18's @ 32Hz

2 Rockford Fosgate T25001-bd's @ 1-ohm each

Rockford Fosgate T1000-4

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford 3Sixty.2

Yellow top up front, 2 9a31s in the back

LOTS of AT 1/0

Python 991

350 Amp Singer Alt

"Build Log"

My Facebook

My YouTube

i didnt see the video or read anything but...cool story

and the reason your being a cock tonight is?

There is a "proper" way of connecting and disconnecting stuff to make sure it doesnt happen but i dont really remember it. I think it was something about always connect RCAs last and Disco them first and make sure nothing is turned on because amps and shit try and use the rcas to ground or something and it blows that fuse or something.

or something..lol

Yes, this is the correct way to terminate and un-terminate amplifiers.

Not just ones connected to a pioneer radio.

This is very basic.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz