Sundown Audio

mounting amps on boxes

doubleD

only as a last resort should you mount to the enclosure. and if you do, get some rubber bushings to isolate vibrations...

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

If you have to mount to a box, please note that BEFORE building the box. That way you can double baffle/layer the mounting side. Like my amp rack is part of my box, because its two layers of MDF for a final 1.5" of thickness there is very little flex, actually there isn't any really. This is really important in long amps to make sure mounting face of box has NO flex. In large setups, everything shakes and vibrates, its the really small and intense vibrations made by your box that does the damage. I like to go to sears and pick up a sheet of tool box matt for inside toolboxes. They are shock absorbent and work very well, and pretty cheap. Just cut some off the sheet when you need it. I use two layers under the feet of any amp I mount on a box. Never had an amp fail due to box flex/vibration.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

That is a shit ton of open area and I don't see any holes that would suggest he has internal bracing. That looks more like box jump to me, not flex. He has enough moving softparts to get that box hoppin. Bet if he bolted it to the floor most of that would stop. My call is: poorly built box. I'd still mount an amp to it. :D

EDIT: Holy shit, the video even said box jumping in an annotation. Nice excursion on them AQs, too.

Edited by cc_audio

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

That is a shit ton of open area and I don't see any holes that would suggest he has internal bracing. That looks more like box jump to me, not flex. He has enough moving softparts to get that box hoppin. Bet if he bolted it to the floor most of that would stop. My call is: poorly built box. I'd still mount an amp to it. :D

EDIT: Holy shit, the video even said box jumping in an annotation. Nice excursion on them AQs, too.

Double baffle and internal 1x1 bracing.

Double baffle and internal 1x1 bracing.

Then that is definately box hop and not flex. I bet an amp mounted on the front of that box would be fine, if you bolt it down I bet you could even mount one on top of it. I still think its safe on that box, just need to take another step with it to stop that. Bolt it down, much safer if you get in a wreck, too.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If you value your amps don't mount them on the box. The good amps have the mosfets bolted down. The cheap ones use clips and sometimes excessive vibration can cause the mosfets to break from the legs. The earlier Sundown Audio amps had these problems.