jayrulz223 Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 Hey, starting to build my first box for a buddy of mine, but i have a few questions about how exactly to port. The dimensions i have to work with are : Depth = 26in Width = 32in Height = 18 I'm trying to have it tuned to about 35ish. Subwoofer is a 15'' Type R, with the old style surround. can't find the specifications for box sizes, but i figured SMD would be a better resource. I attempted to use the RE speaker box design but i don't know exactly how i should port it, or how to decide the port length and the port width. I've seen alot of the crazy thing's on this site, and you've been the inspiration for me finally building my own boxes. Thanks for any and all help When I grow up, I'm gonna be loud too!
andym85 Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 they recommend like 2.25 cubes....here is what i did...its 2.28 cubes net, 35.22hz, mount the sub beside the port the 16.5" on the side is the internal height (height of port), total height of box is 18" i likes me some audio stuff...
jayrulz223 Posted August 21, 2009 Author Report Posted August 21, 2009 they recommend like 2.25 cubes....here is what i did...its 2.28 cubes net, 35.22hz, mount the sub beside the portthe 16.5" on the side is the internal height (height of port), total height of box is 18" Thanks alot man, but just for understanding purposes, how did you figure how wide/long to make the port? I'd like to understand this so i could drop a few formula's and figure the correct port designs. The box look's nasty, i'll be sure to post a build log or something here, thanks again When I grow up, I'm gonna be loud too!
andym85 Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 i use an excel calculator that i made...looks complicated but its not...just a matter of tweaking dimensions and port length and area to get the desired volume and frequency...excel makes it easy port length is measure down the middle of port Av = vent area Lv = effective length of vent (effective length = physical length + end correction <---1/2 of the ports width) Vb= net volume in cubic inches Fb = tuning frequency Fb = .159*((Av(1.84*10^8)/(Vb(Lv+.823*Av^.5))^.5 i likes me some audio stuff...
andym85 Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 oh...u wanna keep port area to like 12-16" of area per cubic foot....and length determines tuning i likes me some audio stuff...
98GCLimited Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 "Lv = effective length of vent (effective length = physical length + end correction <---1/2 of the ports width)" I was wondering about the end correction. Is that added for both ends of port or just one?
andym85 Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 just one....only for a slot port also, so since that port is 2" wide, the end correction makes it an inch longer than it physically is (due to using the wall of the box as a port wall). i likes me some audio stuff...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.