Second Skin Audio

Sub metal rattle?

So I was listening to my system on the ride home the other day, and when I turned it up louder and louder, it sounded like there was a rattle of metal coming from the sub. It sounded like the sub had a screw on the cone just jumping around when it hit. I did notice some air leaks around the sub, could that be it? Can't imagine it would. I just found this out the other day and hadn't had time to pull everything out yet. I was just curious if anyone could give a few pointers or ideas of what to look for before I go in and search. Also it is a fiberglass box, maybe it is resonating inside and I need more fiberfill in it?

PS sig has all equipment listed.

Thanks all!!

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

So I was listening to my system on the ride home the other day, and when I turned it up louder and louder, it sounded like there was a rattle of metal coming from the sub. It sounded like the sub had a screw on the cone just jumping around when it hit. I did notice some air leaks around the sub, could that be it? Can't imagine it would. I just found this out the other day and hadn't had time to pull everything out yet. I was just curious if anyone could give a few pointers or ideas of what to look for before I go in and search. Also it is a fiberglass box, maybe it is resonating inside and I need more fiberfill in it?

PS sig has all equipment listed.

Thanks all!!

You might just be bottoming out your sub, you could be puttin to much power to the subs than they can handle mechanically in the box they are in, is ite a sealed or ported box?

you really should take it out first and look it over to see if its broken too

It is a sealed box, both subs are in their own chambers. The 2x subs take 300 rms each, but the amp only puts out 500 rms. I don't think I have been pushing them too hard. Haven't clipped them either.

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

It is a sealed box, both subs are in their own chambers. The 2x subs take 300 rms each, but the amp only puts out 500 rms. I don't think I have been pushing them too hard. Haven't clipped them either.

Is your box volume too big for the subs?

the only way to be sure you arent clipping is to set the amp with an oscope, unless your amp has a clipping light

I checked the volume, it is smaller than the recommended .66 cuft, with displacement and all, so I threw some fiberfill to make it "bigger" as I have learned. I also heard I need the fiberfill in the box to help with fiberglass "rattling" resonating, don't know how legit that is.

But no I don't have an oscope, but I did do the 3/4 way up deal, and then set the amp before I ever heard clipping, so I doubt it could be that, also no clipping light. That is the one thing I have been pretty conservative with is the volume button, I do not want to clip ever.

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

could be your tinsel leads slapping the cone. i had a problem with this once.

So when the sub hits with too much power, it flexes down so much to hit the lead? (just trying to understand)...how did you work around it?

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

When I get a chance on Sunday I will take it out investigate, and take a few pics for you guys if I see something that may be wrong. Thanks for the help this morning!

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

are you sure it is the subs and not something else rattling?

turn off your mids/highs and just play bass. its always easier to chase rattles like that.

i agree with the bottoming out/tinsel slap ideas also though.

and the air leaking out can sound like a rattle sometimes since it comes out with alot of velocity, so get a good seal first and see if it fixes the problem.