wiring up 2 batteries

If your 0 gauge has really thick shielding its probably not real 0 gauge. Many cheap/pawn shop type wire uses foreign standards and hide the fact that they don't have a thick enough core by using a thick shielding to make it look the same size. Any number of things could cause a short in a wire in your car. Think of it this way. If your car costs $10,000 and you have $2,000 in stereo equipment you could wind up spending $20 for fuses at each battery, or $12,000 replacing everything when your car burns down. You would think that no one would run their wire through metal without a grommet, or past something hot in the engine compartment, but a majority of DIYers have no idea what they are doing. Even if you do run the wire properly, why would you want to risk your whole car to save money on a couple fuses? There is a reason EVERY amplifier manual tells you to make sure there is a fuse within 18 inches of every battery.

wait a min i know good wire JL audio, memphis etc. and they have the same thickness as mine, i mean i understand wat ur sayin bout cheap wire but most of the time its not too make it look as big as the real 0 ga. its what the wire is made of.. and its not about savin money on fuses its just the point of puting a fuse on there when u really dont need too...but i guess

okay...... :huh: but why would u run it threw somthing sharp or somthing that hot that can actually melt o ga. wire i mean thats some thick ass rubber...

U must not read well, i said u could run something over( ie. - a piece of metal in the road(if the wire is run under the car), can get cut on the firewall(alot of people are dumb enough not to use a $1 grommet) or it could melt somewhere in the engine bay where u might not think that gets very hot.

Regardless if it's thick rubber/plastic type covering, it can still get cut through over time. I've seen it multiple times before when i used to work @ a shop in NY. We used to see fuses that got soo hot that the plastic covering was completely melted from the heat, I'm sure you'd want that heat running through your wire.

Even if your car is a hoopty(like a $500 car) with a $500 system, why risk destroying it all and putting yourself at risk for being too cheap to spend 10-20 bucks on fuses. There is a reason why every amp manual, installer, etc suggests you do fuse within 18" of battery.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

wait a min i know good wire JL audio, memphis etc. and they have the same thickness as mine, i mean i understand wat ur sayin bout cheap wire but most of the time its not too make it look as big as the real 0 ga. its what the wire is made of.. and its not about savin money on fuses its just the point of puting a fuse on there when u really dont need too...but i guess

You obviously aren't really understanding it, you don't absolutely need the fuses but they are a safety precaution for you equipment, vehicle and yourself. It's like saying u really don't need airbags or wearing a seatbelt if u don't get into accidents.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

U must not read well, i said u could run something over( ie. - a piece of metal in the road(if the wire is run under the car), can get cut on the firewall(alot of people are dumb enough not to use a $1 grommet) or it could melt somewhere in the engine bay where u might not think that gets very hot.

hold up i never said anything about not using gromment??

Even if your car is a hoopty(like a $500 car) with a $500 system, why risk destroying it all and putting yourself at risk for being too cheap to spend 10-20 bucks on fuses. There is a reason why every amp manual, installer, etc suggests you do fuse within 18" of battery.

man i shit 5 bills so dont even try to say sombody bein cheap.

i dont know a installer that would run a wire where it MIGHT get burnt or MIGHT get cut i guess thats the reason u USED to work in a shop.....

Edited by swat281

You obviously aren't really understanding it, you don't absolutely need the fuses but they are a safety precaution for you equipment, vehicle and yourself. It's like saying u really don't need airbags or wearing a seatbelt if u don't get into accidents.

x985954948737

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

hold up i never said anything about not using gromment??

man i shit 5 bills so dont even try to say sombody bein cheap.

i dont know a installer that would run a wire where it MIGHT get burnt or MIGHT get cut i guess thats the reason u USED to work in a shop.....

Wow dude, no need to be a dick about it. Marlo and I have been trying to tell you that it is a SAFETY PRECAUTION. You can do everything perfect in your install, but accidents can still happen. No Fuses on 1/0 wire is a FIRE HAZARD. Your wire may not melt from being ran the wrong way, or get split from not being through a grommet, but if it should get cut somehow and short out your shit will burn down. Hey, Its your car, if you want to risk it to save a few bucks by all means go ahead because you obviously aren't listening.

CAUTION!

Wow dude, no need to be a dick about it. Marlo and I have been trying to tell you that it is a SAFETY PRECAUTION. You can do everything perfect in your install, but accidents can still happen. No Fuses on 1/0 wire is a FIRE HAZARD. Your wire may not melt from being ran the wrong way, or get split from not being through a grommet, but if it should get cut somehow and short out your shit will burn down. Hey, Its your car, if you want to risk it to save a few bucks by all means go ahead because you obviously aren't listening.

na big dawg it aint nothing like that.. he try to make sombody sound stupid n shit i mean lol i got fuses on my wire. at first it was like an discussion then here he comes talkin like he knows everything.. i just dont like them type of kno it all people.

Edited by swat281

na big dawg it aint nothing like that.. he try to make sombody sound stupid n shit i mean lol i got fuses on my wire. at first it was like an discussion then here he comes talkin like he knows everything.. i just dont like them type of kno it all people.

That's straight, but to me reading it, it kinda sounded like you didn't want to use fuses. Just misunderstood where you were coming from I guess. As long as you have a fuse within 18 inches of each battery on the 1/0 between them its all good.

Edited by HaMSaMMiCH

CAUTION!