Sonic Electronix

Going Active vs Passive Crossover

Currently have the GTI's608 in my truck, running eight woofers and 8 tweeters. if i pulled the passive crossovers out and went Active would I see any difference? as in louder or even cleaner sounding, or would it just be a big waste of time?

Edited by Iced2

Click Here For my Hopper Build

"Click here for my 2008 Dodge Mega Cab Build(The DC Rebuild) "Diesel"

Click here for my 2001 Trans AM Hot rod build

2 Rockford Fosgate T4000.1bd

1 Rockford Fosgate T1000.4db

1 Rockford Fosgate T300.2bd

4 XL's 15's DC Audio

8 JBL GTI's 6 1/2

Currently have the GTI's608 in my truck, running eight woofers and 8 tweeters. if i pulled the passive crossovers out and went Active would I see any difference? as in louder or even cleaner sounding, or would it just be a big waste of time?

there are over 20 variables that come to my mind. I do not know where to begin.

what are you trying to achieve?

with the passives it can be a bit more forgiving and smoother at times but it really comes down to placement, how they are installed, where they are installed, what amp, wiring, amplifier capabilities, can you bi amp etc. with the passives some of the power that amp is producing is lost through the passive network, but with some bigger amps it really doesn't matter.

some passives have a contour circuit installed or a notch filter to fix some issues with the speakers. this speaker system uses LinkRiley24db x-overs which keep both the tweeter and midbass from a lobing effect acoustically.

with the active x-over method you might need to tune from genre to genre so a parametric eq or basic eq might come in handy

i searched for some reviews but found nothing credible but the speaker for its size seams basic, besides the aluminum cone which I really never fancy'd on a midbass to begin with plus the sensitivity is a bit weak for the amount of power going to it. but I really can't critique the speaker since I have yet to hear it.

I personally am pretty critical of my music I am currently doing a vehicle and came to the same situation, i started by active x-over then swapped to bi-amp mode with the x-overs and played different forms of musics and sources. The passives won in bi amp mode as it smoothed out the tweeter and also at the x-over frequency. another nice feature of these x-overs were the ability to adjust the time delay... granted for a $2k set of component speakers I would expect to hear a gnat fart... and you will.

I will post some pics up in a bit of the x-overs

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

there are over 20 variables that come to my mind. I do not know where to begin.

what are you trying to achieve?

with the passives it can be a bit more forgiving and smoother at times but it really comes down to placement, how they are installed, where they are installed, what amp, wiring, amplifier capabilities, can you bi amp etc. with the passives some of the power that amp is producing is lost through the passive network, but with some bigger amps it really doesn't matter.

some passives have a contour circuit installed or a notch filter to fix some issues with the speakers. this speaker system uses LinkRiley24db x-overs which keep both the tweeter and midbass from a lobing effect acoustically.

with the active x-over method you might need to tune from genre to genre so a parametric eq or basic eq might come in handy

i searched for some reviews but found nothing credible but the speaker for its size seams basic, besides the aluminum cone which I really never fancy'd on a midbass to begin with plus the sensitivity is a bit weak for the amount of power going to it. but I really can't critique the speaker since I have yet to hear it.

I personally am pretty critical of my music I am currently doing a vehicle and came to the same situation, i started by active x-over then swapped to bi-amp mode with the x-overs and played different forms of musics and sources. The passives won in bi amp mode as it smoothed out the tweeter and also at the x-over frequency. another nice feature of these x-overs were the ability to adjust the time delay... granted for a $2k set of component speakers I would expect to hear a gnat fart... and you will.

I will post some pics up in a bit of the x-overs

As far as amps Im running JBL GTO 1004.4's two of them. What im trying to see is if i can get them louder by going Active but i was thinking about doing something simple like getting a 3 way x-over and running the amps off of that. Basicly im justing seeing if pulling out the x-overs that came with these JBL C608GTI's and going active would benifit me at all.

Edited by Iced2

4 XL's 15's DC Audio

8 JBL GTI's 6 1/2

you can most likely get louder going active, but not that much.

I searched your amp, that amp looks sexy as hell, wish they would of incorporated end plates to hide the wires. Anyways the amp has a simple x-over set up. Do you want to really buy more gear :) 3 more RCA pairs, x-over, wiring... then a chance for noise...

How are all your speakers placed in your vehicle now?

you can most likely get louder going active, but not that much.

I searched your amp, that amp looks sexy as hell, wish they would of incorporated end plates to hide the wires. Anyways the amp has a simple x-over set up. Do you want to really buy more gear :) 3 more RCA pairs, x-over, wiring... then a chance for noise...

How are all your speakers placed in your vehicle now?

Yea i wouldnt mind buying some RCA's and X-over.

X2 about that amp , i was thinking the same thing when i installed it those wires would look better covered up

P1030066.jpg

Heres how i got them , its a four door truck and i got 2sets in each door

P1020706.jpg

4 XL's 15's DC Audio

8 JBL GTI's 6 1/2

try experimenting with some scrap wire and taking the tweeter to the base of the a pillar and the other in the sail panel on the door. it will mess up the Link/Riley crossover natural correction, but it should get you louder

Hey North...can you do like a lehmans rundown of passive vs active? i always ge tthem mixed up and i need something to remember them as broken down ya know

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

Active is louder, more efficient because you're only amplifying the frequencies you're actually going to use.

Getting it to sound nice is a completely different matter... if you don't have the processing on hand to do time alignment and some good old EQing then passives will probably sound better.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Yo Chode, what is a lehmans rundow?

Active is easy as it is done prior to amplification electronically, where passive is done before the speaker utilizing the amplifiers output power.

Chode were you the same chode on the RF forum?