I had one of my tail light covers on halfass and it fell off while driving. I didn't realize untill about an hour after, so I drove around all night looking for where it could of fell off. When finally found it, it was still in one piece, but unfortunately it was pretty scratched up. It looks like it might be repairable though, so does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I have the general idea, sanding high grit, then polishing, but what grit should I start and end with? What type of plastic polish? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Thewes
teamsundown-1.jpg

I had one of my tail light covers on halfass and it fell off while driving. I didn't realize untill about an hour after, so I drove around all night looking for where it could of fell off. When finally found it, it was still in one piece, but unfortunately it was pretty scratched up. It looks like it might be repairable though, so does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I have the general idea, sanding high grit, then polishing, but what grit should I start and end with? What type of plastic polish? Thanks for the help.

yea i would sand where you think you can get most of the scratches out then work up all the highest you can go or find. oh and wet sand then try use buffing compound and work it good. then go over with some lind of car polish then wax. to seal it.

btw this is what i use when i work with plexiiglass to get the edges crystal clear after cutting. it woorks good

Damn, that sucks!!

It really depends on how deep the scratch is I guess. If you think about it your not going to take the scratch out but actually scratch everything around it down to it's level. If they are not terribly deep then Id start with a 220 if you have to go aggressive or 400 if you can barely feel the scratch with your nail when you run it over the damaged area. From there just keep moving up to 600, 800, 1000 and then polish. There is a real good tutorial on here that shows how to clear lights with a rattle can clearcoat and I would recommend that too since your gonna be thinning out the plastic. The most important thing is to take your time!!

Starting From Scratch!!

I know this doesn't help you at all with your problem.....but It could prevent this from happening in the future.

Have your lights painted by a professional painter. Looks 100x better than those covers and will let the light through alot better also.

No thanks, covers look just as good and I can take them off when I decide to sell.

teamsundown-1.jpg