Second Skin Audio

Sub box stacking

I remember reading about it a while ago but I forgot the answer. I'm a noob in car audio so please bear with me(most I have ever installed was a 12" 300 watt rms MTX sub in a sealed enclosure in a trunk).

So, could you possibly stack(say 2 boxes each having 3 12" subs) on top of each other? I own a 2003 Limited Edition PT Cruiser. Height is not an issue, but depth is.

Thanks!

Going into my new setup in the 03 PT Cruiser:

15" Adire Audio Brahma Mkii

AQ 1200D

Alpine 9884

3.5 cubes tuned to 29hz with square port(thanks Ben Building!)

ILLusive Theory(ILLSET)

Dreams Clothing!!

I remember reading about it a while ago but I forgot the answer. I'm a noob in car audio so please bear with me(most I have ever installed was a 12" 300 watt rms MTX sub in a sealed enclosure in a trunk).

So, could you possibly stack(say 2 boxes each having 3 12" subs) on top of each other? I own a 2003 Limited Edition PT Cruiser. Height is not an issue, but depth is.

Thanks!

there shouldnt be a proble, just make sure each box has the same amount of airspace

badassshit.jpg

GP.jpg

It wouldnt be a problem, but IMO you would be much happier with a custom built box made for all the subs, also it will look much better as well, there is a shop near me that sells Diesel Audio, and they do that, they just stack prefab boxes on top of eachother, and to the untrained Bass head may look cool, but to us more exp. bass heads you sorta think these guys should be embarrased, plus I dont even think they know how to make a box. If you build a box to the specs of the sub or have someone build one for you, it will look alot better and perform much better.

Also if it gets to a certain point in height, the subs will tend to not perform as well, as they are in a way choked from the rest of the cabin.

Edited by CaptainzPlanetz

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

are you talking about pre-fab boxes, stacked? or 1 big box, - 3 subs bottom, 3 subs sealed top?

stacking is a bad idea, falling over, or in an accident, death

and yes, there was a death last year I believe, or the year before where there was a un mounted box, in the back seat of a car, flew fwd, and killed a guy

custom would be way better

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

It wouldnt be a problem, but IMO you would be much happier with a custom built box made for all the subs, also it will look much better as well, there is a shop near me that sells Diesel Audio, and they do that, they just stack prefab boxes on top of eachother, and to the untrained Bass head may look cool, but to us more exp. bass heads you sorta think these guys should be embarrased, plus I dont even think they know how to make a box. If you build a box to the specs of the sub or have someone build one for you, it will look alot better and perform much better.

Also if it gets to a certain point in height, the subs will tend to not perform as well, as they are in a way choked from the rest of the cabin.

Haha I get what your saying. So the height problem was a concern of mine...not sure if it would affect it that much :huh:

are you talking about pre-fab boxes, stacked? or 1 big box, - 3 subs bottom, 3 subs sealed top?

stacking is a bad idea, falling over, or in an accident, death

and yes, there was a death last year I believe, or the year before where there was a un mounted box, in the back seat of a car, flew fwd, and killed a guy

custom would be way better

I was asking if you could possibly do pre-fab boxes. I would have to know the dimensions of a custom box first.

Well you could get some L brackets and bolt the bottom one of then a straight bracket and bolt the top to the bottom one :unknw:

AQ 1200D

Alpine 9884

ILLusive Theory(ILLSET)

Dreams Clothing!!

Brackets may not hold too well if in a wreck, especially if they are holding a tall mass.

Also a custom box is a box built to the dimensions of the space you have available in the vehicle, so if had width depth and height dimensions, you could get a box designed/built for your application.

Edited by CaptainzPlanetz

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Yeah I was gonna wait until tomorrow to get the dimensions. I know it's 34" wide not sure bout depth or height.

What if instead of 2 boxes of 3 12's sealed, I put 2 boxes of 2 12's ported. I was thinking about toying with the cheap hifonics.

http://cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20pa...uct+%23=HFI12D4

Hifonics HFi 12D4

Subwoofer Size 12"

Voice Coil(s) Dual (2 voice coils)

Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms

Peak Power Handling 600 watts

RMS Power Handling 300 watts

Woofer Surround Rubber

Woofer Composition Injection Molded Polypropylene (IMPP)

Sealed Box Volume 1.25 - 2.15 cubic feet

Ported Box Volume 1.75 - 2.5 cubic feet

Sensitivity 88 dB

Frequency Response N/A

Xmax (millimeters) 11 mm

Top Mount Depth 5-3/4"

Cutout Diameter N/A

Recommended Enclosure Type Sealed or Vented

AQ 1200D

Alpine 9884

ILLusive Theory(ILLSET)

Dreams Clothing!!

Brackets may not hold too well if in a wreck, especially if they are holding a tall mass.

Also a custom box is a box built to the dimensions of the space you have available in the vehicle, so if had width depth and height dimensions, you could get a box designed/built for your application.

I could always add an extra support horizontal to the boxes. Say one coming from the seat to the back of both, or 2 to the top

AQ 1200D

Alpine 9884

ILLusive Theory(ILLSET)

Dreams Clothing!!

imo go with 3 12s ported in a custom box, subs up port back.

/topic :01nocomment8so: .

Question is...what kinda sub? It's a PT Cruiser so the port will bounce off the back pretty well and come forward.

AQ 1200D

Alpine 9884

ILLusive Theory(ILLSET)

Dreams Clothing!!