hey guys,

ive been too lazy to upload all my pics to photobucket before now but im bored so its time for me to put up a build log!

heres what i started with:

Posted Image

its a Holden Commodore wagon, 5 speed manual and 3.8L V6, goes alright but it should go a bit slower when its finished!

Posted Image

the first day i got it i switched out the head unit for a crappy Boss cd/mp3/tuner and put the sub box out of my old car in:

Posted Image

Posted Image

its about 4 cuft and tuned to 35hz and was supposed to house 2 soundstream SPL12s but i blew one up :(, so now it only has 1...

Posted Image

i also put in an 800wrms Jaycar monoblock amp and an Audioline 4 channel to run the stock speakers...

vandersexx-1.jpgdeafaz-1.jpg

^^^ clicky pics for build logs ^^^

Australia-03-june.gif

the next thing i did was "tint" the rear windows...

i got some cardboard and cut it out to the shape of the rear windows:

Posted Image

then sprayed it with gloss black and sandwitched it in between the trim panels that go around the window:

Posted Image

i could have just sprayed the windows black but i didnt really like the idea of perminantly tinting the windows of a $7500 car... i first did it with corrugated cardboard though and you could see the corrugations from the outside when the sun shone on it so i needed to redo them in flat card...

the single 12" went surprisingly good and i got some window flex out of it, and the stock speakers were nice off the 50w ish from the audioline amp so thats how it stayed for a few weeks...

(how do you embed vids on here?)

sorry bout the crappy vid, it was done on my phone ages ago...

Australia-03-june.gif

and then the planning for the wall started, my original idea was for 3 18s in a tunnel (the cars not tall enough for a diamond)

the wall had to be completly removable incase i ever wanted to sell the car so i measured up the biggest shape i could fit through the tailgate and started building:

Posted Image

all of the panels will be double layer 16mm mdf with lots of 2x4 bracing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

after a lot more thinking and reading on here and an aussie car audio forum i decided that 3 18s wasnt enough so i came up with this:

Posted Image

16 10"s in a clam, this meant the box had to have a few minor adjustments made but as i had only screwed it together temporarily to make sure it all fit the adjustments were pretty easy...

once i had all the panels cut out and id made sure they all fit properly i broke it all down for plenty of glue and screws:

Posted Image

while the box was out of the car i took the opportunity to strip the interior out and run wiring, i did one run of 75mm^2 welders flex from front to back and then made a wiring board for the spare tire well under the box:

Posted Image

this contains relays for neons inside and outside the car and seperate remotes for the front rear and sub amps, (all of the relays are controlled by switches on the dash as well as the accesories wire so i cant accidentally leave them on) as well as the buss bars for the amps which will be mounted on the back of the wall:

Posted Image

i still need to get some aluminium for the buss bars but thats how it sits at the moment...

Australia-03-june.gif

once the wiring was done i started putting the box back together with plenty of glue and screws:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the back corners had to be cut out for it to clear the tailgate of the car so i decided to make some little shelves to put some 6.5" on for when im showing it with the tailgate open:

Posted Image

Posted Image

a couple of coats of black house paint and it was ready to go back in the car:

Posted Image

as i had built the whole thing on dads hydraulic motorbike lift all i needed to do to get the 300+kg box into the car was adjust the bike lift height to the same as the tailgate and slide it straight in:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i then started running the 2ga power wires to where the amps will be:

Posted Image

there will be 2 4 channels on the top angled part of the box and either 4 small monoblocks or 2 big ones on the flat back part of the box, i havnt decided what amps i will be running yet though so thats about as far as i can get with the wiring...

Australia-03-june.gif

in between all this woodwork i did lil bits of work all over the rest of the car, the first thing to do was the dash, the stock one has green lighting but all of my neons and my head unit are blue so i changed all of the lights to blue leds:

heres the headlight switch before:

Posted Image

and after:

Posted Image

and the gauge cluster:

Posted Image

Posted Image

the leds behind the gauges came out a bit patchy but overall im pretty happy with it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and heres it all back together again:

Posted Image

Australia-03-june.gif

looks good so far.... when is all the equipment coming in?

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

looks good so far.... when is all the equipment coming in?

thanks mate, im still at school so moneys a bit hard to come by at the moment but hopefully il have some RE goodness sent my way in the next couple of months, still got a bit to go before im ready to put the gear in though so im not stressin too much!

Australia-03-june.gif

Archived