Need new heating and A/C unit.

So we are needing a new heating and A/C unit for our house. The unit we have is just over 20 years old and the tech that came out to service it last week said that the inside unit isn't even the same size as the outside unit (sorry, I know nothing about this stuff).

Anyway, the company that serviced it gave us a quote for $6500. That's for the new unit (a higher end model that qualifies for a tax credit), labor/installation and travel charges (they are about 45 miles away). He said that $6500 was probably the worst case scenario and that more than likely it would be less. We've used this company in the past to service our heating/air unit and to redo our plumbing when we remodeled the kitchen. They have always been reliable and provide quality work.

So I was wondering if we should just stick with this company or get a few other estimates? We live in a small town and the closest "big" city is 40-45 minutes away. There are two heating and cooling businesses that are local, but we've had very bad luck with both of them. Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to how many estimates you should get for something like this?

Dan

if you have had ANY bad experiences with a company then don't even bother with trying to save a little money.

peace of mind trumps saving a little dough every time.

how much tax credit would you get?

So we are needing a new heating and A/C unit for our house. The unit we have is just over 20 years old and the tech that came out to service it last week said that the inside unit isn't even the same size as the outside unit (sorry, I know nothing about this stuff).

Anyway, the company that serviced it gave us a quote for $6500. That's for the new unit (a higher end model that qualifies for a tax credit), labor/installation and travel charges (they are about 45 miles away). He said that $6500 was probably the worst case scenario and that more than likely it would be less. We've used this company in the past to service our heating/air unit and to redo our plumbing when we remodeled the kitchen. They have always been reliable and provide quality work.

So I was wondering if we should just stick with this company or get a few other estimates? We live in a small town and the closest "big" city is 40-45 minutes away. There are two heating and cooling businesses that are local, but we've had very bad luck with both of them. Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to how many estimates you should get for something like this?

Dan

Is it an amana? Where in kansas do you live?

I can't remember how much the tax credit is, but I think he said 10%. And, yes, I'd spend more money for quality, especially for such a large purchase.

We have a Bryant and that's the same brand we got quoted on. We live about 45 miles south of Topeka.

Blue dot is having a discount sale advertising 4200 bucks off. I do not know what brand but I think its York. What is the name of the HVAC Company? I used to work in the field. I have heard some bad things and some good about a few companies around that area.

Blue dot is having a discount sale advertising 4200 bucks off. I do not know what brand but I think its York. What is the name of the HVAC Company? I used to work in the field. I have heard some bad things and some good about a few companies around that area.

I'm not sure about Blue Dot. My aunt and uncle had them do work on their new house and they messed up a bunch of stuff. Could have just got a bad tech. The company we are looking at is Lower Heating and Air. We've used them on 3 or 4 different occasions and have had good luck every time. There's a few more companies that I was going to call and get estimates from (McElroy's and Latta-Witlow).

Thanks for the help so far.

You said you used them before, always did good work, they always stood behind their work? would stick with them. you at least know what your getting for your money. besides, why change brands to save a buck when your current brand lasted 20+ years?

and $6500 is not bad at all, we just spent $10k on a new 3.5 ton unit.

Edited by 98crewcab

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

I would definitely buy from Lower. They have a very strong reputation. Just so you know they really mark up the equipment. A high efficiency furnace and AC unit is most likely costing them $2000 or less. But they do install it provide warranty and service at a reasonable price.