Second Skin Audio

box help

well i decided i am going to be getting a DC lvl 4 12 hopefully within the next week which i am pairing with an AQ1200. right now i am working on a box idea, but since i am at college i dont really have all the resources in my dorm room to make a box so i was talking to a close custom shop about building me a box for a reasonable price. ive never used a ported box, but as for size i was thinking 1.5 cuft tuned to 38hz? will that work well? right now im using a 12 inch type r in a sealed prefab box.

what are your guys opinions?

2000 Nissan Xterra

-Infinity 6020cs components

-Infinity 692.7 6x9s

-DC LVL 4 12

-AQ1200

-Pioneer DEHP860MP H/U

-4 channel amp for mids and highs??? I need some suggestions

i was talking with drew and the guy from the shop and they said the guy from the shop said it wont be big enough to be tuned to 33hz, and drew said that 36/37 would be good, but since i listen to a lot of rock and some rap he said i could even do 40 and have it still sound good... i drive an xterra with the trunk open to the rest of the car, i just want to know what your guys suggestions are also

2000 Nissan Xterra

-Infinity 692.7 6x9s

-DC LVL 4 12

-AQ1200

-Pioneer DEHP860MP H/U

i was talking with drew and the guy from the shop and they said the guy from the shop said it wont be big enough to be tuned to 33hz, and drew said that 36/37 would be good, but since i listen to a lot of rock and some rap he said i could even do 40 and have it still sound good... i drive an xterra with the trunk open to the rest of the car, i just want to know what your guys suggestions are also

So the guy said the box wont be big enough for that tuning?

What dimensions do you have to work with?

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

i have a full trunk, i dont know the specs off hand, but i know 1 12inch isnt going to take up the whole trunk, i was going by the specs on the DC website and it says for 1 12, 1.5cuft, i think the guy at the shop was saying that a box that is only 1.5 cuft just isnt a big enough box to have a port tuned to 33hz, but i mean according to what drew told me 38 is right in the middle

2000 Nissan Xterra

-Infinity 692.7 6x9s

-DC LVL 4 12

-AQ1200

-Pioneer DEHP860MP H/U

i have a full trunk, i dont know the specs off hand, but i know 1 12inch isnt going to take up the whole trunk, i was going by the specs on the DC website and it says for 1 12, 1.5cuft, i think the guy at the shop was saying that a box that is only 1.5 cuft just isnt a big enough box to have a port tuned to 33hz, but i mean according to what drew told me 38 is right in the middle

that makes no sense whatsoever. Tuning is tuning. you can tune any sized box to anything. I mean, you can tune a 10 in a 1 cube box to 33 or lower if you wanted to.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

im torn right now between what to do... i was told for my car and my music taste that i can have it tuned to 40hz and still have it sound good. im going to try to get in touch with him again and see if he can explain to me his reasoning as to why he thinks he cant tune a 1.5 box to 33hz

2000 Nissan Xterra

-Infinity 692.7 6x9s

-DC LVL 4 12

-AQ1200

-Pioneer DEHP860MP H/U