Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

just go smaller....duh the reason the old school stuff was like that was because it made no power. a punch45 was 45 into 4...11.25watts a channel or something like that. i run 150 a channel. not gonna find some oldschool amp thatll do that. the new stuff is MORE EFFECEINT. go for a smaller amp if you dont wanna do the big 3 and alts and batts. if you wanna go big bite the bullet. old school stuff has nothing on the new stuff, especially when it comes to going big.

Uh.. I'm pretty sure I saw some old school ZR amps do 150 a channel easy. When rated at 60. I have the 240, still laying around.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

back in 2000 i ran 2 X punch 250a2's and 2x punch 800a2's on 135amp stock alt... the 800's were at 2ohm x4 on 4 punch 12" DVC's.. I ran 2 marine batterys due to the 2000watt inverter that needed so much juice to operate with the engine off... never did any big 3 stuff and was running 2awg RF wires... now I am running a 80x4 amp to the doors and a BE1700.1d to a DC lvl3 12"... 130amp stock alt with big 3 and all 4awg CCA wires... no battery bank at all.... yes my old system was much louder but that was 4 12's in an extended cab f-150 with a blow through vs a single 12 in an explorer.... but I also feel if I did another amp and DC 12 it would be much louder than my 4 punch 12's.... dude I work with runs the 1500rms skar 15 on a audiopipe 1500watt with stock electrical in a 2013 impala and is way louder than my old RF system back in 99-00 and his voltage never dips below 13.5.... so unless you love nostalgia you really cant beat the power for dollar the new tech has to offer, even in the budget brands because so many build houses just copy each other and if you want something not copied then you are going to pay out the nose..... you dont always get what you pay for... sometimes you just get ripped off.... if you want a true 3k+ amp then yes... if you need 1k-2k then no

that being said my amps now dont even get warm my old system could cook eggs.... that is wasted power

Archived