Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

This stereo stuff is cooking my brain.This new stuff out draws so much juice you need bigger alts and extra batts.When i had a"system"in the early 90,s i had a 1979 Ford Futura with at any givin time 3 or more amps.One amp per sub,one amp for 6x9s and amp for door speakers.My amps ranged from Soundstream 6.0s to sony to Punch.I had the biggest front batt i could fit under the hood.No Big 3 upgrade back then.My headlights would dim a little thats it.So with this said,would it be ideal for me to find a bunch of "old school"stuff and do a build?500.00 plus alts and multi batts are just to costly.I dont want to spend 2000.00 plus for amp and subs and not be able to use them till i get another couple grand to power them.I really want to bump.Any response would be helpful.I have been searching this site for imput and had some luck.Please help a brother out"lol"

Getting a bunch of old amps to power new subs probably wouldn't work all that well.

All the new stuff puts out more power for a reason. To be louder and better. (Imo)

I'd just start saving up and running newer equipment. But, that's just me.

Ok,but how about this.The subs i used then were the old school Cerwin Vegas Xl12 dvc rated i think 600 peak, i dont rember but i put 300 or so watts to them, and for what it was,was loud as hell.Those old amps put out clean power like the Orions and Soundstreams.If a sub ask for 600 watts and you put close to that to it what does it matter if its a "new style amp" or a "old school" amp?

just go smaller....duh

the reason the old school stuff was like that was because it made no power. a punch45 was 45 into 4...11.25watts a channel or something like that. i run 150 a channel. not gonna find some oldschool amp thatll do that.

the new stuff is MORE EFFECEINT. go for a smaller amp if you dont wanna do the big 3 and alts and batts. if you wanna go big bite the bullet. old school stuff has nothing on the new stuff, especially when it comes to going big.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

I don't think it was as loud as you remember it being. In 1990 I had two 15" MTX Terminators running on MAYBE 200 watts in a sealed box. I thought it was SO loud (and so did everybody else in this tiny town) but now everything is exponentially louder and we're just used to it. At least, that's the way I see it.

just go smaller....duh

the reason the old school stuff was like that was because it made no power. a punch45 was 45 into 4...11.25watts a channel or something like that. i run 150 a channel. not gonna find some oldschool amp thatll do that.

the new stuff is MORE EFFECEINT. go for a smaller amp if you dont wanna do the big 3 and alts and batts. if you wanna go big bite the bullet. old school stuff has nothing on the new stuff, especially when it comes to going big.

Im not trying to start a pissing match i just have some questions.For example,take the old school Orion HCCA amps.Are you saying they dont put out?1200 watts is 1200?Or how about the Soundstream 6.0?Or the Rockford 800.2?Those old amps rocked.Werent those amps underrated like the new RF stuff?I know is new is better.Im just a bass head on a budget"LOL"

in my personal opinion... old schools r better for mids/highs and new is better for bass,, just my two cents

Agreed!

Honda Accord 4 Door

Current System -

(2) 12'' Mtx Thunder 5500's

(1) Alpine Mrp-m1000 @4Ω

(1) Pioneer Deck Deh-3500

(1) American Legacy 1.0 Farad Capacitor

(1) Stinger Voltage Meter (Blue)

Big 3 Knu 1/0

Box 3.4^3@37hz

demo402.gif

I don't think it was as loud as you remember it being. In 1990 I had two 15" MTX Terminators running on MAYBE 200 watts in a sealed box. I thought it was SO loud (and so did everybody else in this tiny town) but now everything is exponentially louder and we're just used to it. At least, that's the way I see it.

Yehh i guess so,i need to get out of the past.Maybe just take more time and shop around and maybe i can do a modest budget build.

Im not trying to start a pissing match i just have some questions.For example,take the old school Orion HCCA amps.Are you saying they dont put out?1200 watts is 1200?Or how about the Soundstream 6.0?Or the Rockford 800.2?Those old amps rocked.Werent those amps underrated like the new RF stuff?I know is new is better.Im just a bass head on a budget"LOL"

If you are going for a budget, thats also loud, check mine, i got two kicker comp 12's on a hifonics brutus series 1200 watt amp in a sealed pre fab box, all in all i spent about 400 dollars for speakers, box, amp, and wiring, and of course, wired it all myself. IMO you would get off cheaper, louder, and more reliable by buying new stuff.

Archived