Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

If you are going for a budget, thats also loud, check mine, i got two kicker comp 12's on a hifonics brutus series 1200 watt amp in a sealed pre fab box, all in all i spent about 400 dollars for speakers, box, amp, and wiring, and of course, wired it all myself. IMO you would get off cheaper, louder, and more reliable by buying new stuff.

Yes im on a budget.I have about 2500.00.I know what i want but the extras what killing me.The only problem is powering the sub amp.I see people on here and you tube with say a Kicker 2500.1 or a Saz 3500 and 1 extra batt when everyone says i need 2 or 3.I just dont understand if i pick a sub that needs say 1000 watts,and i pick up a old amp that does that why wouldnt that work or sound good?

The thing is, those old school amps and speakers were rated at peak and not rms, much like the sony xplod amps you find at wal-mart today.

If you want a modern equivalent stop looking so far up the chain. Chances are for what you're used to from back in the day, a 600 watt rms sub amp on a pair of bottom of the line subs will be fine for you. As well as a lot of headunits today can push nearly as much wattage per channel as you had to have external amps for back in the day.

The upgrading of alts, batteries, big 3, etc have came to be because of amps pushing 5 to 20 x more then the best amps around back then, and with all that extra wattage, comes extra draw.

How many times did you see an amp back in the day that required 200 to 300 amps worth of fusing ?

Yes I'm on a budget.I have about 2500.00.I know what i want but the extras what killing me.The only problem is powering the sub amp.I see people on here and you tube with say a Kicker 2500.1 or a Saz 3500 and 1 extra batt when everyone says i need 2 or 3.I just don't understand if i pick a sub that needs say 1000 watts,and i pick up a old amp that does that why wouldn't that work or sound good?

I think it would work, just for how long? And i don't think that old amps draw less current than new ones, statistically speaking, new amps run a lot more efficient than the old school ones, plus you got a warranty on a new amp. And in my opinion, if you really are on a budget, i wouldn't go with Kicker or SAZ, not saying anything bad about them, but they don't seem like they are prime for "budget builds" i would go with something like hifonics, diablo tech, audiobahn, etc.

The thing is, those old school amps and speakers were rated at peak and not rms, much like the sony xplod amps you find at wal-mart today.

If you want a modern equivalent stop looking so far up the chain. Chances are for what you're used to from back in the day, a 600 watt rms sub amp on a pair of bottom of the line subs will be fine for you. As well as a lot of headunits today can push nearly as much wattage per channel as you had to have external amps for back in the day.

The upgrading of alts, batteries, big 3, etc have came to be because of amps pushing 5 to 20 x more then the best amps around back then, and with all that extra wattage, comes extra draw.

How many times did you see an amp back in the day that required 200 to 300 amps worth of fusing ?

None that i remember.I dont want to start another thread on this,but if anyone is watching this are any of you guys using "old school" stuff?Are they just for keepsakes now?If any older members on are reading this,chime in with your thoughts.Im kind of hard headed and just cant understand.So the question is "peak vs rms?For example.Cerwin Vega VMAX.1200 watt peak handling.That means it can handle up to 1200 watts?If i put a "old school Orion" that is rated to do 1200 watts at 2ohms that would work or sound good?

I think it would work, just for how long? And i don't think that old amps draw less current than new ones, statistically speaking, new amps run a lot more efficient than the old school ones, plus you got a warranty on a new amp. And in my opinion, if you really are on a budget, i wouldn't go with Kicker or SAZ, not saying anything bad about them, but they don't seem like they are prime for "budget builds" i would go with something like hifonics, diablo tech, audiobahn, etc.

True that,but you get what you pay for.Funny thing is i had 2 12 Lanzar VMAXs pushed by a old Sherrwood 100.4 using 2 channels bridged 200 per sub and it beat down.You could hear me coming,vibrates the house,yada,yada.I gave them to my neighbor cause next week or so im getting the funds for my build.His box is slightly bigger and that shit pounds in a 90 something Impala,it moves a little air to.He has some Sony Explod amp or some shit.With that said i just thought going "old school" would work.

I grew up using a lot of Zed Audio stuff, mainly Optidrive equipment. The stuff was good in the day, and still is today.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I grew up using a lot of Zed Audio stuff, mainly Optidrive equipment. The stuff was good in the day, and still is today.

I have heard of Zed but mainly it was Zappco,Soundstream,Orion.Then you had your Pyramid and crap.Looking at your sig how does your stuff sound?Those amps are enexpensive and from what i see alot of people use them.

i run oldschool amps apms i have ---orion 2100hcca 275hcca 250hcca 225hcca mmats-sq4070 d100hc d200hc d300hc -autotek-bts 7600 7300 7150 7050 mm-333 222 99 66 -330 220 90 66hc 66 44hc 44-linearpower -8002 5002 2002 2202 952 652 --all the amps are rated at 12volts and all have the- SQ - the new amps dont

i run oldschool amps apms i have ---orion 2100hcca 275hcca 250hcca 225hcca mmats-sq4070 d100hc d200hc d300hc -autotek-bts 7600 7300 7150 7050 mm-333 222 99 66 -330 220 90 66hc 66 44hc 44-linearpower -8002 5002 2002 2202 952 652 --all the amps are rated at 12volts and all have the- SQ - the new amps dont

so this means i can do a build with old amps and new subs?But what is your electrical like?

Archived