Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

There shouldn't be a sound difference between a high sensitivity woofer and low sensitivity woofer given they are both powered correctly for each. They are both reproducing the same frequencies, and those frequencies will react the same in a room or venue, regardless of what type of woofer created it. It's not like the walls see a low sensitivity woofer and say they aren't going to reflect those waves, but they'll reflect the high sensitivity woofer's sound waves. Makes no sense.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

WERRRD!!!, I figure, if you like the sound of it... go with it. If you don't like the sound of it, shut up and move on.. If you have the CORRECT information, please share. This is all good info ( to me). I also can feel your passion for it all. Thanks to all for the input.

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

My correction, or should I say that I did not clearly state what I ment. What I ment was, that "in a closed field, a very small closed field(like a car/van) the reproduction of a woofer with a high sensitivity will have a narrower band of useable clean frequencies, compared to a woofer with a lower sens. and alot of excursion. Excursion is the KEY to making up the diffrence for the low sensintivity..........In a car............not venue.

You could not be more wrong. A higher sensitivity driver will produce a higher SPL at a given power range within its ratings than a driver with lower sensitivity. This has nothing to do with frequency response.

2.) Myth; Concert loudspeakers move less air

Of all knowing you should know this. A woofer with high excursion is what I would use in a small venue with 1100 seat with walls. Not to mention how huge it would sound. High sensitive woofers would create to much reflection at the walls with a 12db gain,........you know this,....or should. Cancellation!

I don't even know what to say to this. Sensitivity = Reflection = Cancellation? Hmmm....Carrots!

3.) Myth; Class D (PWM, or Pulse Width Modulation) sounds bad on 'highs' and makes woofers 'go crazy'

Very knowledgable indeed, but you are on a 12volt site, not a 220volt site.

And that makes about the same amount of difference between Omo washing powder and Home Brand.... A whole lot of not much. The amplifier is the same. The power supply is different.....Amplifier is the same.

Once more.

Amplifier is the same.

4.) Myth; Class A clean, class D Dirty

Not a perfect sine wave output, thanks for clearing that up! Class A = clean, class D =dirty

Neither is a class A amplification device. With a sagging power supply, hot FETS, inductive load and a low damping factor, your output is not a sine wave. Nor is a cosine wave. If it was a Tan wave, you are doing something wrong.

Class A can be clean. Class D can be clean. Class G/H can be clean. All can be high distortion.

5.) Myth; Boon is a know-nothing

Fact; What doesn't the guy know?

Nobody is doughting that. I'm not, nor did I state it.

No worries then.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

yous guys are too friggin smart for me. let me guess that you have at least a masters in electical enginering... i have a hard time tying my own shoes. Thanks for being here on the forum to give us knowledge.

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

i have a hard time tying my own shoes.

You have shoes? +1 over me. I wear muffins.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

yes you can --look down

ok so i get the fact that u want to relive the past with old amps. but old amps are not going to last, i had a old gem that cauth fire in my back seat and i had to put it out. there just not safe and not reliable. now i dont know what type of car u have or what level of loud, but if u want good prices on things look up ikesound.com plus us-amps makes great amps at a great cost.

2002 chevy avalanche

Currently have:

2 dc xl 18

set of T2652-s

scv-6k

Ct sounds 75.4

270a mechman

xp3000

d3400

Wanted:

saz 200.4

Second set of T2652-s

D3100's

deadner

Micky's post for Post of The Year, IMO.

Now to respond to some crap, excuse the messed up quotery....

2.) Myth; Concert loudspeakers move less air

Of all knowing you should know this. A woofer with high excursion is what I would use in a small venue with 1100 seat with walls. Not to mention how huge it would sound. High sensitive woofers would create to much reflection at the walls with a 12db gain,........you know this,....or should. Cancellation!

I don't even know what to say to this. Sensitivity = Reflection = Cancellation? Hmmm....Carrots!

I really don't know where to start... umm... err... wtf? Porridge! 12dB gain? What in gods name are you on about... this guy is tripping.

3.) Myth; Class D (PWM, or Pulse Width Modulation) sounds bad on 'highs' and makes woofers 'go crazy'

Very knowledgable indeed, but you are on a 12volt site, not a 220volt site.

And that makes about the same amount of difference between Omo washing powder and Home Brand.... A whole lot of not much. The amplifier is the same. The power supply is different.....Amplifier is the same.

Once more.

Amplifier is the same.

+1, you really shouldn't be trying to lecture people on amplifiers when you really don't know the difference yourself - the output section in a 220v amp and a 12v amp is virtually identical. You have enormous DC rails being modulated by the output devices. The only difference is that 220v systems usually have a step down transformer (does anyone make a straight rectified AC amplifier? That would be badass) and don't require a PWM section on the power supply since they already have an AC (or close to it) wave to work with. You could rip the power supply section out of a car amp and power the leftover output section with the power supply section from a 220v amp. They are THE SAME.

4.) Myth; Class A clean, class D Dirty

Not a perfect sine wave output, thanks for clearing that up! Class A = clean, class D =dirty

Yeah... really... Because when my Fluke scope that goes down to nanovolts can just barely resolve the jitter, I bet you can still hear it and all...

Neither is a class A amplification device. With a sagging power supply, hot FETS, inductive load and a low damping factor, your output is not a sine wave. Nor is a cosine wave. If it was a Tan wave, you are doing something wrong.

Bahahhahahaha. IRL laugh. I'm gonna burp a tan wave some time just to see what happens

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

You have shoes? +1 over me. I wear muffins.

Cheers,

Mick

MUFFINS!!!.... well theres my problem. I needs to get me sum muffins.

OiRYFHf.png

I feel that some of the older stuff is great if its still in working condition. look at the old tube amps. they sounded great. nice warm sound to them. sum of the old PPI art series stuff. Soundstream, (no not soundstorm) before they were sold and bought and sold and bought... their amps were great. I miss my old Referance 6.0, it got hot, super hot. but todays amps are so much more efficient. I would get the new stuff, save time and money. do it right the first time. I wish I would have done the setup I have now first instead of spending a but load of cash that I didnt need to.

OiRYFHf.png

Archived