Changing your idle RPM ?

well, the only reason i asked is because my car idles sometimes at 800-900 RPMs, sometimes (after it has been running for a while) 300-400 RPMs, and sometimes after ive been driving for 10 minutes or so it will idle at either zero or 100 RPMs. I dont really know what the cause of it is and I was wondering what would happen if i changed the idle RPM

It's probably not really idling that low. It sounds like your Tach is fucked up. Zero RPM is OFF, and I don't know of any motor that idles at 100 RPM. Most big V8's that idle WAY lower than imports only get down to 500. V6's and 4cyl are typically between 600-900

and ALOT of cars have what is called "high idle" right after start to help the car warm up and get better compression, If it really is idling that high when you start it, as it sounds like your tach isn't giving you any sort of realistic idea of where it is idling....

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

well, after driving for 10 minutes maybe, the car is warmed up (or whatever, IDK, im not car tech savy), i will push my clutch in for whatever reason and the RPM needle will drop all the way down, what is the tach so i can look into it?

Baylor University

Accounting

well, after driving for 10 minutes maybe, the car is warmed up (or whatever, IDK, im not car tech savy), i will push my clutch in for whatever reason and the RPM needle will drop all the way down, what is the tach so i can look into it?

the tach (or tachometer) is the needle with the numbers 1-8 generally on it. it usually has about 4 little white mark notches between each number

800px-Speedometer.jpg

edit: ^^ on the left

Edited by Krannyman92

Tachometer is the gauge that shows your RPM's.

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

so what would i replace to fix it?

And i guess that measures the RPMs of the alternator?

no, of the motor.......

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

It's probably not really idling that low. It sounds like your Tach is fucked up. Zero RPM is OFF, and I don't know of any motor that idles at 100 RPM. Most big V8's that idle WAY lower than imports only get down to 500. V6's and 4cyl are typically between 600-900

my toyota idles at 450-500....

and ALOT of cars have what is called "high idle" right after start to help the car warm up and get better compression, If it really is idling that high when you start it, as it sounds like your tach isn't giving you any sort of realistic idea of where it is idling....

yeah the technical term is called "closed loop/ open loop... google that when you want to learn something...

my corolla's 1.6 idles at about 700rpms after warmed up (google) so theres no way yours can idle as low as you say.

i vote (again) on broken tach

probably

Edited by treossi

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details