Carputer 101

Guest MegaloManiac

wait what... it will take alot of power as in amperage to get a carputer to do video or it will take alot of porcessign power to get video, or it will take alot of graphics card power/mem to get good video? im lookign at ~1400X900 resolution

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

oh and sry for all the dumb questions but after lookign at the mp3 car foum/ overall site i just got more confused rather then getting any type of knowledge

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Guest MegaloManiac

it will take a lot of power energy(watts)wise. if you plan getting the psu for a car that uses dc current then you are limited to only 80-160wattsmax(i havent seen a car psu do moree than that) but if you decide to uses a regualr ac psu then you will be using an inverter. problem is inverters make a lot of "frequency" noises...meaning you it will whine with your speakers. I honestly think a car PSU is the way to go, but if you decide to use an inverter make sure you purchase a "Pure Sine Inverter". a lot ofinverters will claim they are pure.but they are not, they are "Emulated Sine Inverter"

oh i would go car psu then... but i dont know exactly what that is so im googleing it up ^-^

edit: found something http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#int

second to last model "M2-ATX 160W Vehicle DC-DC Power Supply" looks good to me que no?

ok i think i got a much better idea of a carputer with this site here (only probelm is pounds :()

ok so i would use above unit to supply power to the carputer...

then i would use http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=5 "Panasonic UJ-845 Dual Layer Slotload CDRW/DVD+/-RW/RAM Multi Drive" for dvd drive,

oh and what do you think of this board http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2 "EPIA EN 12000G Fanless C7 Mini-ITX Board"

it has the features liek rca, s video (easy stuff for me)

not sure on how much memory i would need would 256 do it?

then in terms of hard drive i sorta want to max it out... but then again you stated laptop hd are more suited for rattling so if i were to go the 3.5 hd how do you think it would hold up? then again im leaning towards that 160g laptop hd

so is that pretty much all i would need carputerwise (i noticed you dont have a case so i may or may not get one... if i do it would be the VoomPC Vehicle PC Enclosure)

also should i ditch the idea of a alpine monitor for something liek this touch screen

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=25#p3103

Guest MegaloManiac

oh i would go car psu then... but i dont know exactly what that is so im googleing it up ^-^

edit: found something http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#int

second to last model "M2-ATX 160W Vehicle DC-DC Power Supply" looks good to me que no?

its obvious you didn't read my first post ;)

and for the mobo, i'd advise one with a fan. a car/truck/suv gets pretty darn hot....unless you live up north...i live in TX so triple digit weather majority of time

i say use 512 of ram like me, thats all you need and some more

avoid 3.5 HDD...problems include

1.Tempreture

2.Can't handle the shock(stereo, bumps and whatnot)

3. Consumes more energy(power)

use a 2.5 laptop hdd(capcity of your choice)---adaptor will be required

you will need a cd/dvd drive if you intend on watching videos..loading software..or heck just wanting to rip a cd.

wireless keyboard is a good suggestion i think, i use a small ps2(playstation 2) keyboard(can be seen on the mp3car.com store)

my intentions are to fabricate a double din case out of lexan, i havent got around to doin it. but my carputer works fine.

if plan on molding your screen into your dashm make sure you plan ahead on how exactly you are goin to do it. i convinced some kid on ca.com to build a carputer, he thought it be very easy to mold the dash. well he didnt plan so without plannin what do you expect. 

here is a worklog on how my dash came to be..it was a project me and my friend(dohcrazy) did,he did a lot of the work.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread...hlight=dohcrazy

lol sry bout that but when i first read that post all that was like jibberish to me.

aobut the board im in new mexico so heat is def an issue... would i be able to just add a fan or does it need to be with the motherboard?... lol any ideas on sites with some build boards with fans and rca/svideo? hey about that lexan idea how much are you paying for the material? ive herd lexan was damn expensive

about the whole fab thing ill probably have the screen up b4 i even get to the carputer bc ive been looking at models for a while... but damn this is getting expensive already i can tell :o

Guest MegaloManiac

You can put a fan on that mobo..it will help a lot.

Mp3car.com has a great selction of worklogs. do a search

BTW What kinda car will this go in?

Lexan isn't  that expensive. I grabbed a sheet from home depot for around 10 bucks. (18 X 24...I think) I don't know when I am going to use it though.

damn thats not bad... how thick is it? i think my town is ghetto bc the only lexan they have on stock at hd is thin as hell. the car this will go into is a cobalt ss supercharged... im just not sure on fitment in the consol liek urs but if not ill have to mount it somewhere else

Archived