Sonic Electronix

The amount of shit that I saw coming in every week that people did to their own cars beats most of the shit I've seen that other installers have fucked up....

EVERY group (BBY, Custom Shops, DIYers) have their horror stories. Some people get it, some people don't. Just the way it is.....

I agree with you 100%, just pointing out a flaw is the other dudes arguement...he heard something negative, and starts telling people to avoid best buy because they "heard of a friend of a friend" having an install messed up. Not saying it never happens, but dont make it seem like a dedicated stereo shop never has any crappy installs leave.

x2 hammsammich

i really wont let anyone else touch my car. i take pride in knowing i pretty much did every last thing on my car, and know exactly how every last bit and piece of it was done. And its honestly a roll of the dice regardless of where you go. I've seen messed up cars come out of every local shop (while some are more notorious for it than others) and i've even seen crap and mistakes roll out my own shop. some of its unavoidable, both on the shop and the customers side. But some of the stuff that rolls out is just so blatantly retardedly dumb it makes you wonder. Like 2 different impedance subs in the same box, or 0g grounds for a 1500watt amp secured to the rear deck with a zipscrew.

You really don't know the whole story, I have kids come in with subs that dont match impedance all the time, and they try to tell me they were sold these two subs together, when in fact they bought them separately. BTW, as far as I know, best buy doesn't carry multiple impedance subs (ie 4 and 8 ohm version of the same sub). I just get tired of someone getting all kinds of bent out of shape, and posting how horrible Best Buy is, and then everyone comes out of the woodwork with their shit talking boots on.

But, I agree with you 100% about letting people touch my system, I only have maybe 2 people other than me that I would trust to do anything with my stereo...and that includes even playing it.

Just to be clear... if what you mean here is you think you're being clever by talking about (RELATIVELY!) tiny, obscure brands like Fi, DC, AA etc when the shop guys don't know a thing about them... it's not clever, why should they know about things like that. As long as they know their bread and butter a.k.a your mainstream brands that Joe off the street wants then shit, that's good enough. Like you say, it's their JOB, there's way more money in doing 50 cookie-cutter headunit installs than 1 full custom boot install, for the same amount of time...

I deal with probably 15-20 kids a day who try to "stump" me by asking about different internet brands...they're not to happy when they find out I know more about it than they do. Other installers and salesman at my store dont know anything about them, but like you said, it's not their job. Im into competition, and running different types of equipment, so I took it upon myself to learn about them, but it hasn't helped my in my job at all. I could know nothing other than type-R and RF P3's and do just as well.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

x2

wasn't saying you were wrong xtreme, just throwing in my .02

And about passing the MECP test. If you can't pass the practice test they give you in the store, you can't pass the real thing(its the same test....)

Im saying if you dont score high enough on their practice test they wont pay for you to take the real one...not that hard, and you can re-take their test.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

x2

wasn't saying you were wrong xtreme, just throwing in my .02

And about passing the MECP test. If you can't pass the practice test they give you in the store, you can't pass the real thing(its the same test....)

How old do you have to be to take the test? I'd like to do it while I'm in college (as if I won't already have enough to worry about :rofl: )

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

I think you can take it whenever, but if there is a restriction, I would guess 18......

Thanks, I turn 18 in Dec, so it doesn't matter. I just googled MECP and found a FAQ, so I'm reding it now.

Sorry to get off topic.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Best Buy gets a bad reputation in the install bay and on the floor because like some one said earlier its not regualted enough. If you can tell the manager in your interview that you know what your doing in a lot of stores they will hire you as an installer. that being said bad installs come out of those stores.

But in hand the same thing happens at independent shops.

Our store is one of the better stores in the area. I will admit we have fixed issues from other Best Buy stores and even work from previous installers from our store but there is a reason why they no longer work for the company. On the floor sadly enough there is employees that do not know what they are talking about but other stores some of the employees know the car audio world. The stores will only put money into training where money will come back home theater computers ect... I work the floor and am the competent employee that does know my car audio but we do have employees that dont know there equipment.

Although I have seen problems from other best buys come in I have seen twice as many problems from other local independent shops doing shady things just for a dollar.

Does that mean you should try to learn to do your installs yourself if its your first or second system (thats the majority of our customers anywho) no but just be smart and do some research and ask around if the shops are good. common knowledge goes a long way when your wanting someone to put something in your vehicle your driving everyday.

Archived