Second Skin Audio

Thinking of doing 4th-order

The box in sig was a box I was planning, current box is 1.3 per chamber at 33Hz with 1 pound polyfill each side. I was told they did well in 1.75 cubes per, but I wanted to try a little bigger because at the time I was running well below RMS and did not predict an upgrade in power that I have now.

Car is a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix, rear seats don't fold down.

As for amp settings, there are no markings on anything other than the typical gain/LPF(freq) and bassboost(EQ). EQ is on the floor, LPF is probably at about 80Hz, same as the HU's LPF, and I am always fiddling with the gain little by little, ear tuning FTL.

My best guess is that maybe adding the Polyfill (was messing with it to figure out airspace for new box) raised port tuning? And the crappiness up high seems to just be cabin problems, did some testing today. Down low I am losing a bit, but it's not as bad as it was before. Still not at the point I like it at though.

I can post some pics of the box tonight, it's pretty ugly, but I was planning on running it as a temp box until I figured out what I wanna do next.

Too many projects, too little time...

I built my 4th in my car, I took the sealed and ported dementions from the JL site and worked with those numbers till I got it right, I am quite pleased at the sound, right now I am puttin 300 watts to it and it pounds, I cant imagine how it will be when I get my new 1200 watt sub amp (other blew, long story :( ).

Just wanted to release this publicly since I saw Rogers' post (no clue how I didn't see it last night)

I am not having issues with the drivers he sent me. They were in tiptop shape when I got them and still are, other than some cosmetic damage from my installation (that I still kick myself for.) The issues are with MY enclosure designs and tuning. After going to a couple rides I was impressed with before I am now under the impression that I have just gotten used to the volume of the bass, as their rides seemed quieter too. SO! I do not see this now as me fixing eff-ups as I do simply trying to get louder with the same drivers and power.

I don't know why I was expecting to get so much louder with a 50% power increase and some more cone area (since I'm really only getting like 600w right now) but for what it is it does okay. After fiddling with some settings, like stated above it does okay. Now I just want to keep this string of improvements going.

Things I am hoping for with the new enclosure are as follows:

1- NO PORT NOISE! This is the second box I have built that didn't have port noise when I built it, but seemed to develop it as time went by. Don't know why, the ports have always been secured to the floor of the enclosure, but I am going to try way more port area and see what happens.

2- More down-low performance- this box is uneven down low when you give it real power (which is what scared me before, but other boxes I have heard do the same.) I have heard that 4th-orders don't do this because of the support of the sealed chamber. We will see.

3- Louder- because why else would I be building this? If I can't hit the '30's when I'm done with this, I may just cave and pay someone to build a box for me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make sure that this was geared more towards the idea of a bandpass than me sounding like I'm bitching about the seller of my gear, who is an upstanding individual. Rogers, I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way in this thread. I would do business with you again in a heartbeat.

Sounds like your box is kinda terrible ;/

Can you post all of the dimensions for us?

Outer dimensions are 36w, 14.5h, 14.5d, with .75 MDF. The box is divorced at half the width with one layer of .75. Tuned to 33Hz with 4" PVC, with a 90 degree bend halfway through, attached with Gorilla Glue to the front baffle and the floor of the enclosure.

As stated before, after I messed with my amp a little it improved some but I'm just looking to improve.

And as for the box being terrible, I wouldn't doubt it. It was my first box and I refaced it over the summer to alter sub orientation (first time they were lopsided FAIL) and to upgrade from 3" to 4" PVC port. When it was built there were no air leaks, but the holes I drilled for the wire started to vent so I duct taped one side, stuffed it with caulk and taped the other side for a temporary fix until I could get a new box plan.

Here's your bandpass if you can fit it.

1.6-2 cubes max sealed

4+ cubes ported tuned to 52hz with about 100sq.inches of port area.

Make sure you port it through the rear deck and I don't know what kind of music you listen to but if you like those low low notes try tuning mid to high 40s.

If you want to give me your max dimensions I could get a cut sheet for you.

Drew

Ref's include: sundownz, army-killa, queball, wildsebring, foshay1123, greenman100, loud-n-low, acex3a, circa40, orangeless, PBateman,xtcxyooj, chaunb3400, oldschoolboomer, SPLluminator

Here's your bandpass if you can fit it.

1.6-2 cubes max sealed

4+ cubes ported tuned to 52hz with about 100sq.inches of port area.

Make sure you port it through the rear deck and I don't know what kind of music you listen to but if you like those low low notes try tuning mid to high 40s.

If you want to give me your max dimensions I could get a cut sheet for you.

Drew

Thanks but I have a design already. It uses a 2.05 cube center ported chamber with either 2 3" by 5.25" PVC ports or 1 6" by 11" port, and two .821 cube rear chambers. I got this design from Iamsonic on CACO, per zferichs

I'm telling you bro you want more than 2 cubes ported that is just insane. You will not get any low end and will have port noise like a mother fucker. Why would he tell you to use 2-3'' ports or one 6'', the 6'' is about the same area as 2-4'' ports so why even recommend 2-3''. I wouldn't even use 3'' pvc on a regular ported box.

I have your max dimensions so if you are set on this design then that's fine, just don't be upset when your ported box has more output.

Drew

Ref's include: sundownz, army-killa, queball, wildsebring, foshay1123, greenman100, loud-n-low, acex3a, circa40, orangeless, PBateman,xtcxyooj, chaunb3400, oldschoolboomer, SPLluminator

I'm telling you bro you want more than 2 cubes ported that is just insane. You will not get any low end and will have port noise like a mother fucker. Why would he tell you to use 2-3'' ports or one 6'', the 6'' is about the same area as 2-4'' ports so why even recommend 2-3''. I wouldn't even use 3'' pvc on a regular ported box.

I have your max dimensions so if you are set on this design then that's fine, just don't be upset when your ported box has more output.

Drew

Hm...

So more around 4cubes ported, 1 cube per sealed chamber?

Maybe do a 12*8 slot port?

EDIT: I really like the idea of doing two separate sealed chambers bracketing the ported chamber if that will work well.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

the port of mine fires thru the the rear seat arm rest, its a very stealth setup for sure.

here is a pic of my box (to give you some idea)

as you can see the port is in the middle between the two sealed enclosures, and the subs are inverted to keep the port shorter to tune lower.

0728091706.jpg