Engine Noise Made Worse By Grounding Head Unit

I'm confused too thats why I'm posting this because I thought if I grounded the head unit it would ground the outer shell of all the RCA's on the headunit.

The bolt is through sheet metal I made sure it was.

I'll try some more stuff tomorrow it just pissed me off because taking my entire dash off is quite the job for me to have to do it again.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

a lot of h/u's, the outer rca isnt properly grounded to the radio chassis, so grounding the radio can cause more interference

try grounding the rca to the h/u chassis, like this :

strip alot of wire

IMG00224.jpg

wrap it around the rca (mine are pigtailed, if yours arent, this is going to happen on the back of the deck, but you get the idea...use enough to go around the rca and leave enough for you to twist it on tight)

IMG00225.jpg

ground the rca to the chassis

IMG00223.jpg

now keep in mind, if you have an eq, you may have to ground all of your rca outputs to the chassis, and all the rca outputs of the eq to its chassis, and use a common ground for the two, and possibly link eq chassis to h/u chassis

getting rid of noise can be a bitch, especially if its "source" noise like yours appears to be, not noise picked up in-line

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

thanks raytard you were the reason I went out and tried it because I read your RFBLD review thread.

before I bought one I was trying to get rid of the noise.

There are no external screws IIRC on the EQ itself because I don't think its a metal case but I'll ground it to the same spot on my HU that I will ground the RCA's too.

just trying to help ;)

most companies either diode isolate or internally fuse somehow the rca ground so that the amp cant pull ground through the h/u if the amp's ground isnt sufficient (which CAN happen if the amp's rca's are grounded to the chassis, and its being driven hard on too small a gauge of wire...like so many people do)

what i showed bypasses that, and in turn provides a lower noise environment, just make sure everything else is up to spec and you shouldnt have a worry.

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

alright so I went out today and wrapped some more 16 gauge around the left and right RCA coming out of the front output going to the EQ thinking that if I stopped the noise there that it would stop it before it got the EQ.

wrapped it around and ran it over to the bolt on my head unit get everything put back start it up and...

I still have engine noise! :fool:

it seems like it was less then it was when I first tried grounding the HU but it is still there and still annoying me.

at this point I'm saying fuck it and waiting until I get my 4 channel in a week or 2 because that way I know how everything is wired and can track it from there... no more stock wiring going everywhere.

Steve said I could try one of his RFBLD before he puts them in and see if I actually want to buy one or not so first comes the 4 channel and then if there is still noise next will come the RFBLD.

oh and does the quality of the RCA make a huge difference?

ATM I have some RCA's I had lying around connecting my HU to my EQ and will soon connect my HU to my 4 channel

twisted pair is better than the traditional

shielded is a joke

and a rfbld makes it all better regardless, lol

Team DC